I think I just wiped my main drive.

jimmys69

MOODerator
I just tried to copy(mirror) my main drive using Acronis. I selected the drive to be copied (the one with shit on it) and the destination drive was the empty one. Both internal. After the cloning and restart, I get "BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Am I fucked?

I think your computer is seeing the new drive and trying to boot from it - but the boot manager didn't get cloned - so it can't boot from that drive... hmm hmm hmm - i tyhink you need to remove that new drive and reboot

why did you do that BTW?

My external drive was filled up with audio files, so I thought I could easily clone my Main drive to the other identical one (both internal [SATA 0, and 1] drives) and have my backup going. Figured I'd just buy a third drive and setup the motherboard in raid 1 and not have to fuck with reinstalling shit. Now I am completely lost. Anything you need in trade to help me out Wes? :D

You've been very helpful to me with my computer problems. Sadly, I cannot return the favor because I am computer illiterate. But good luck anyway! :)

Have you tried removing the cloned drive? It should boot after that. lets make sure we got that working then we can figure out how to proceed...

Last edited:
You've been very helpful to me with my computer problems. Sadly, I cannot return the favor because I am computer illiterate. But good luck anyway! :)

Thanks man. It seems tho offcenter got his wish as it seems we are in the same boat and none of the fish are biting. Not a date! lol!

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I think I'm fucked.....

So your using true-image to run scheduled backups of your primary drive? Like just clone the drive every day or something in case one fails?

Have you tried removing the cloned drive? It should boot after that. lets make sure we got that working then we can figure out how to proceed...

I changed the boot drive to each in the boot menu and get the same result. I suppose anything is worth a shot.

So your using true-image to run scheduled backups of your primary drive? Like just clone the drive every day or something in case one fails?

No, I quit using the program a long time ago cuz it was slowing down my recording comp. Well it died, so I just built the i7. I didn't set up the raid 1 like I thought i did and tried Acronis to backup the drive I installed the OS, Cubase, SSTrig, EZD,................Well I am seeming lost now

yeah you should physically unplug the drive and try booting - hopefully you have a bootable disk still. Whats the app that you configured your RAID with?

So you were backing up the drive - and then you were gonna convert to RAID 1 ? was that the plan?

Yes. My motherboard does not need an app. I found out later that you need to hit something like Ctrl+alt+I or something during boot to activate the raid setup for the card. Dood at the Micro Center just said it would automatically do it. He gave me a number to call him with any issues and it was some old lady's number. I will deal with his ass tomorrow. Yes, my plan was to copy the drive I put W7 and everything on, to the other empty drive. Go buy another tomorrow while I get his lame ass fired (maybe free for my trouble), and copy my OS after setting up raid correctly.

Thanks for listening man. I'm about to go postal

There is a boot thing that comes up to configure the RAID but there is usually also a RAID manager program.

This might help you out: Installing Hardware RAID on Windows 7

If you only have 2 drives and you need to backup the data I guess you are stuck waiting till tomorrow - if they are even open on the Sunday before teh 4th! You don't have a spare external HD or something laying around? I guess reinstalling your OS and everything doesn't sound very appealing - but my RAID program converted my non-RAID disks and then put all the OS and apps back in place no problem.

That sounds like it would be awesome. I have this sinking feeling that Acronis-or me just messed up which drive had the OS on it and formatted the wrong drive. Reinstall may be the only option. But hey, its all the steps are fresh in my memory though right? Gonna go quicker this time! Positive thoughts......Positive thoughts....Holy shit, I just turned into a hippie/yuppie! lol! It's all good. Just the hard way to get it right. I fucked it up to begin with by trusting a guy who works for $12 hr at Micro Center right?

so is your computer dead? I think you are going to have to wipe that second drive in order to get it to work. But not exactly sure how we can do that since we can't boot with it in. Hmm hmm hmm

if your computer still will not boot with the second drive removed you might want to try this: How to fix "BOOTMGR is missing" in Windows Vista

found this too... I'm not running Win7 so not too sure if this is of any use, but it might be able to convert your two drives into a RAID array without re-installing
Windows 7 Software RAID: Disk, Partition and Volume Context Menus - Software Secret Weapons

These are just guesses, but they have worked for me in the past. XP may be different than Windows 7, but the meat and potatoes should be similar. I would just have the one copied drive installed during this. Then, go into BIOS and have the CD drive as the first boot device. Now have you Windows CD installed (hopefully you have one), and reboot. Select 'R' for repair, and type in 'fixboot' at the prompt. Maybe try 'fixmbr' as well. It's worth a shot.
I have trouble with Acronis True Image all the time, but I am 'almost' computer illiterate. I just know enough to be a threat to anyone who is foolish enough to let me 'fix' their computer. Having said that, I haven't f*cked anything beyond hope. Yet. Knock wood. When the disk is cloned, it should start, and I verify it is the cloned disk by size, but if you are cloning similar sizes this is tricky to know, and maybe part of the problem. Then I go into add/remove hardware and remove the original disk. You should get that little bubble in the lower right hand corner that says 'New Hardware Found' and 'Your new hardware in installed and ready to use'. I haven't done this a lot (maybe a half-dozen times), but so far, so good. Well, after a few hair pulling episodes.

Thanks Ranjam! Win 7 Repair fixed it right up. Both drives will boot all my programs now. :)

Man I was shittin for a while there. Now if I can find a way to get rid of that stupid nag screen asking me which OS to boot. :/

Back