I record everything at home...critique?

alascar11

hey guys

I just got back into writing recording after a 12 yr break. I've recorded about 12 or so songs since march 09. I multitrack and play everything myself. Aside from the fact I'm a terrible singer, if you can check out my stuff and give me an opinion, good or bad I'd really appreciate it....thx Bill

ps- dont slam me because of the singing- dont claim to be one, do it to finish the song. Also you can tell the newer ones- I worked out the rust in my ears after the long break....lol

www.myspace.com/alascar11

i only had time to listen to blue sky but damn it's a great song, you don't sing bad at all seriously. i loved it.
i'll make sure to come back to take a listen to all the songs

I listened to the first three. I thought they were fine singing, and your voice doesn't sound bad to me at all, just timid. And it sounds like you might not have the best mic either... but still, the songs are pretty cool and I can hear all the instruments quite clearly.

The only things I would say is that the whole thing seems to lack low end, the only instrument I don't really hear is a bass. Not sure if you have a set of studio monitors or not, but that might help you out a bit... I know it made a WORLD of a difference for my mixing. But either way, it sounds good, better than most people who record in their homes... especially after a 12 year break.

Glad to know there are others out there making quality music in their homes. I hope to hear some in the future where you sing out a little more, you seem to have a good voice... maybe just aren't used to singing?

-James'

I listened to 'ride' and 'all you have to do is call'... and I think the vocals sound fine. I wonder what 'ride' would sound like with a little less Fx on the vocals.

And I also agree with the comment that you just need to believe it and let it loose. I actually think 'all you have to do is call' is quite good.

listened to blue sky which I liked very much but I thought the snare sounded in a totaly different place from the rest of the kit. Was a bit distracting for me. Apart from that, the vocals could have been a bit cleaner for me but everything was sitting in place pretty well. Bass could come up a tad.

Nice one.

I liked everything about the songs, and the singing was pretty good! Especially liked Out on the Coast, sounded like a 70's pop song..

Looking at the thread title I thought, really..?? So do all of us here...:D
Nah, just kidding...;)
Your stuff sounds great, maybe a little tweaking here and there, but you've got more than the basics thru. Very nice songs and quite well recorded. Your voice is very good, don't knock yourself there.

Joey :):):):)

Listened to Blue Sky... Nice tune. Sounds like you could use a bit more of the panning bandwidth afforded ya. The song seemed almost mono.

For a simple song, recorded with average equipment, it sounds okay. The song itself isn't too shabby. I know I haven't created anything better. hehe...

Yeah, don't get hard on yourself about your voice. I've definitely heard much worse.

Your drums need work, too, but I guess they do keep the beat.

Back