I put my eye on an acustic-electric

yag

Still Newbie
I'm thinking of buying an ovation 2771LX... anyone have any idea/experience/recommendations ?

Never buy a guitar from an aerospace company.

Yeah, yeah, I know they aren't anymore, but they used to make helicopter rotors.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I know their history, always found a little bit funny....

But Al Di Meola uses them.

The Ovation is a great guitar for playing live,I used to do four hour shows on acoustic and the Ovation necks made it easy.
I would not recommend one for recording however,almost any all wood guitar will sound better.

I'm thinking of playing it plugged, with some effects maybe

This is what they're good for. I like an all-wood guitar for acoustic work, but Ovations can sound really nice when amplified.

There are a number of other considerations to take into account for live work, as acidrock's post notes. Weight, neck profile, visual impact, etc. Frankly, if you're playing live, there are so many folks who can't tell a thing about tone that if you like it and, more importantly, you are comfortable with the feel of the instrument and the weight/shape of it hanging on you for three or four hours, buy it.

Also, when it comes to tone, let your ears decide - not someone else's. You're going to have to listen to the thing more than anyone else anyway.

The thing is I tried mostly ovations, and I'm satisfied with that one but if some one have a recommendation or a warning... I'm pretty inexperienced about acoustic-electrics, especially the ones with composite bodies = )

The multi hole models reject feedback much better than the single hole if you're playing in loud venues.

The thing is I tried mostly ovations, and I'm satisfied with that one but if some one have a recommendation or a warning... I'm pretty inexperienced about acoustic-electrics, especially the ones with composite bodies = )

you should try the takamine, yamaha or any other real guitar brands that are around the same price range with electronics on board.

Never tried an Ovation because I hate the looks of it. I can only say good things about Takamine however.

Mike

I've got an Ovation and a Martin. The Ovation is horrible when mic'd, but good for finger pickin style when plugged in. I've had fair results if I mic at the 12th fret and blend with the p/u when recording.

I don't like the Martin plugged in at all. Haven't had a chance to record it with a mic, but I think it will sound beautiful. Listening to that thing when I play is relaxing.

Cheers,

I should try some other but they mainly have ibanez and gibson for acoustic in local shops here.

Last edited:
Back