I never had the strength!

FoulPhil

Here's a new song I wrote. I went a different route with this one. Not sure if it's working or not. Let me know what you think.

I never thought about another
Didn't think of anyone but you
It didn't take too long for him to come along
After you said that we were through

I spent a life time in the dog house
Listening to your constant bitch and moan
Accusing me of all the things you were doing
Now you go out with him while I drink alone

Chorus
How many times will I fall for your lies
A smile on your face as you look me in the eyes
Even though I've heard it all a thousand time before
I never had the strength to walk out that door

Being with you has been a nightmare
No one knows the hell you put me through
Your sweetness is like the knife in my back
And all the lies you live belong to you

The kids all cry as mamma leaves again
Telling all her lies of where she's gone and where she's been
It's always more fun when she ain't around
She'll leave you drained and feeling low down

Last edited:
Seems a decent mix. (I don't really listen to the genre much)

My only critiques are that the lead seems a little dry in the verses (it sounds better in the solos), and the BGVox could probably come up.

different route for sure ;)

i think this is a great mix. Voice is perfect for this style, comes off really well. The left cymbal is a bit loud when the rest of the mix dies down a bit, but I'm kind of reaching on that one. The little fillers and solos are a nice touch and well-suited to the track. this is a really great mix, IMO. nice work Phil

I like this kind of music, and you do it well.

Mix is bottom heavy and congested--bass is way too loud, vocals too low, overall feeling is too dark for the genre. Drummer needs to take a chill pill in places.

Are those the kids on backing vocals? Cool!

Seems a decent mix. (I don't really listen to the genre much)

My only critiques are that the lead seems a little dry in the verses (it sounds better in the solos), and the BGVox could probably come up.

Thanks. I'm not sure the background vocals are working. They kind of come in off, but it's just the first part of the sentence I Think...

different route for sure ;)

i think this is a great mix. Voice is perfect for this style, comes off really well. The left cymbal is a bit loud when the rest of the mix dies down a bit, but I'm kind of reaching on that one. The little fillers and solos are a nice touch and well-suited to the track. this is a really great mix, IMO. nice work Phil

Thank you. I appreciate it. I only meant different route in the way I mixed it, not musically lol. Hate to change the subject, but don't worry I've almost got my electric guitar set up for recording. I had to replace the crappy Floyd Rose special with an original and I'm just waiting for my Seymour Duncan Nazgul trembucker to get here. :D

I like this kind of music, and you do it well.

Mix is bottom heavy and congested--bass is way too loud, vocals too low, overall feeling is too dark for the genre. Drummer needs to take a chill pill in places.

Are those the kids on backing vocals? Cool!

Hey thinks man. A lot of old Country music is like that with a big heavy low end in the kick and bass. That's what I was going for, but don't want it congested so I'll work on it. I'll try to brighten it up a little and go over the drums a little too. It's just me not the kids doing backups, but I couldn't really nail it. To me it sounds really weird lol :p

Great song! I'd like to hear a bit more wet on the vocal (seems a bit dry). The bass has a bit of a boom in my headphones, maybe it's combo bass and bass drum that's doing it. Really like the drums on this.

Great song! I'd like to hear a bit more wet on the vocal (seems a bit dry). The bass has a bit of a boom in my headphones, maybe it's combo bass and bass drum that's doing it. Really like the drums on this.

It's the trainbeat man LOL. You have to summon your inner Johnny Cash and it has to be at least 115 BPM. Once you find a good trainbeat, half the work is done. Like I was telling my friends on FB, I'm bring back trainbeats :p

This is truly great. Really fun to listen to.
I didn't have any criticisms until I read the other comments, and now I do agree that the vocal is too dry.
I don't think the bass is too loud, but then again I think my bass is often too loud and dark for others.
Really great song writing though, this is something that a lot of people have experienced but I've never heard it put quite this way in a song.

This is truly great. Really fun to listen to.
I didn't have any criticisms until I read the other comments, and now I do agree that the vocal is too dry.
I don't think the bass is too loud, but then again I think my bass is often too loud and dark for others.
Really great song writing though, this is something that a lot of people have experienced but I've never heard it put quite this way in a song.

Thank you so much. Unfortunately most of my songs are based off of my real life experiences lol. I actually wrote that song on Tuesday and finished it on Friday. Nothing like some RL inspiration. :guitar:

I was actually going for a bass sound like this, but I didn't really compare them I just heard it in my head. I really didn't get anywhere close to it. I was thinking about making it more bassy lol

Bass is a little "bassy" and could use some highs or "chime" (old strings?)... The rest is well mixed, and btw the bass level is good, it's not level.
Yes this is a bit different from the last one of your I heard :D:D:D:D

Bass is a little "bassy" and could use some highs or "chime" (old strings?)... The rest is well mixed, and btw the bass level is good, it's not level.
Yes this is a bit different from the last one of your I heard :D:D:D:D

Nope brand new strings lol. I didn't really do too much. I just left it without EQ because I thought I was getting a big bottom, but it didn't come out as how I was hearing in my head. Some time I'll try to tweak it and see what happens lol.

Fun song, too bad it's inspired from real life.

I felt the bass was a little heavy handed as well. Or rather, the rest of the mix seemed to lack higher freqs, globally. Just a bit more for air and clarity. Jeez, I sound like an allergy commercial or something. Eh, we do live in Texas..... I understand the Big Texas sound you're going for, but in this case, it needs to balance out.

I like the acoustic guitar solo. Nice touch.

Yeah man, long live the trainbeats.

Nope brand new strings lol. I didn't really do too much. I just left it without EQ because I thought I was getting a big bottom, but it didn't come out as how I was hearing in my head. Some time I'll try to tweak it and see what happens lol.

Cool - Mike just changed his strings on his bass and I noticed a bit more chime. But he did also eq out some of the low low end which tightened up the bass and let the chime come through more when we were mixing. Bass is tough to get just right for me at least...

Back