I need to mic my amp or....

heretic4u

Yeah I need to find out how to record my electric with my effects..... tell me if this is possible. I went to guitar.com and one guy said use an ardvark sound card or a mixer or otherwise I just have to mic my amp. Well placing a mic next to amp dosn't seem that will get good sound? or will it? Help me if there ais another thing I can do. I have a mia digital audio card by echo, and vegas audio pro and Ultra Di PRo direct box by behringer. If placing a mic next to my amp is the solution (I hope not) then please tell me what is a good mic to use and where to place it on the amp.

Heretic

Infact, the best way to record your guitar is with a mic and a nice amp. Use a Shure SM57, put it aroud the speaker, where you capture most hiss. Make it LOUD if you record metal... You will probably need a mic preamp and a compessor for the clean guitar (comp is not a MUST). A mixer will do the trick - use some of the cheap Behringer 602A or 802A, plug the mic in, plug the mic into the line in or aux in. Infact the Shure SM57 is a nice mic, It can be used from vocals, strings, to a snare drum. It does it's job very well (NOT PEFRECTLY) It does not work well with bass drums, but for a guitar is the best and cheapest way...

Good luck!

Back