I need to make a theme song!

Farno

Hey guys!

I do some youtube videos of dirt biking and off road riding with voice over narration. Here's an example of one of the many rides we've had so you can get the idea:

Exploration - Commentary Episode 13 (2011) - YouTube

I want to make an intro song kind of like an intro to a TV show. This would also make the videos more original and have a way of introducing the "characters" or riders in the episode like the beginning of this video (NOT MINE):

Enduro Alaska's Insufferable Summer Summary - YouTube

Is a theme song much different than a real song? The length is really the only difference I suppose. I'm thinking no longer than 30 seconds. I'll make a few versions so if I have more riders to introduce I can use the longer version and so forth.

My problem is finding the right mood and tone that suits the style of video. I think I'll keep it purely instrumental too.

So I guess basically what I'm asking is how do I get a short theme song to start the video off in a positive mood that pulls in the viewers without being corny or just out of place. My videos are a little more "raw" and the voice over is not intended to sound professional. It's more of just a fun thing to do (overly serious and literal people may have a hard time watching my videos),

The visual portion of this "theme" song also plays a large role in how the intro is perceived but that's off topic to what I need to know here.

Thanks!

Writing a theme song is likely writing any other song, except harder, because you have considerably less time in which to convey the message and have an impact. An instrumental is a good choice, and starting this by developing a melody line first is also a good choice.

Write a hook, and throw out everything else I guess.

I've written two theme songs for friends' projects. One was instrumental (If you look quickly, you can probably still find it in the MP3 clinic!) and was basically the guitar hook looped with varying other instrumentation behind it for 2 minutes.
The other had lyrics and was pretty much just a verse and chorus with no intro or outro to speak of.

You can also pull from your existing work and cut a piece off of a song that fits the mood of the video ... if you have a song that might work. Otherwise writing a theme is not anymore difficult than any other way of writing. I have many "theme based" songs. Songs that come specific to a story line.

An easy approach to writing theme songs is to find something you like and base your composition using that as a source.

Back