I need tips on using Reaper with Zoom R series

allegro1650

I'm thinking of importing tracks from my R24, mixing and editing in Reaper, and also using Reaper for MIDI.

I'm fairly certain I can import tracks to Reaper using the SD card, but do the files need to be re-named?

Has anyone had any issues with using the R24 as a Reaper control surface?

(HP desktop with AMD dual-core, running Win 7 Premium 64-bit)

As long as the files are some standard music file (WAV, AIFF, etc) you can import them to Reaper. Does not matter what the file name is, but if they are in the format 'TRACKNAME1-1", all you will see is 'TRACKNAME' in the Reaper track channel, you'll fhave to figure which is which and rename them on the screen.

I have an R16 and no issues with importing files into Reaper. I use it as a control surface too using the Mackie protocols. Obviously the R16 doesn't have a lot of buttons but it works pretty well. No complaints here.

R16 & nil problems for me either.
I don't use it as a control surface because I usually end up with too many individual, as in non grouped, tracks to make it worth while but it is fun to use it as such.
It also makes a pretty good interface into Reaper.

(1) Use a card reader (Faster than the USB I/O)
(2) Make and save an "R-24" TEMPLATE for yourself.
(3) Load your WAV files from the SD card by opening up your Template and "Browsing" for the audio files in the project directory. You'll only need to double-click on the first file---the rest will load quickly and automatically. There will be no visual feedback for the files until you resave the project under a new name and Reaper "repeaks" the WAV files.

Paj
8^)

PC is OK for me; I've got a laptop with 32-bit Vista. The SD card reader and the USB are the only things working on it. The CD burner is shot, so I'll have to render to a 2-track mix and burn it on my Win 7 desktop. The home studio is in a different room, and I'm not wired for VPN or Wi-fi.

Good idea about the template! I want to standardize my work flow as much as possible.

If anyone can advise me about MIDI channels regarding General MIDI 2, that would be great. I'd like to set up so that drums are channel 10, and any other instruments are on the respective channels they're supposed to be. Send me some PM's.

Back