I Need Strings!

mtardif

I'm driving around last night listening to a song I've been working on, when it all of a sudden hit me. This song would be complete with a nice string ensemble underneath the guitars! Unfortunately, I haven't messed with midi/soundfonts/synths/etc. enough to know where the hell to start looking for how to do this.

What I'm looking to do:
Need like a string quartet -> maybe cello, viola, 2 violins to for a harmonized flowing piece underneath my guitars.

What I work with now:
I track everything with live instruments in my studio. The only non live instruments things I mess around with are DFH with the Dr-008 (clicking out each individual beat in piano roll) and I've messed around with some strings on VSampler 3 (but it was only the demo version so you could never save anything).

Anyone have any suggestions of where I can get a sweet string sound, and maybe a quick rundown of how to set it up in Sonar?

Well, you could ask DavidK VERY nicely to do a string quartet for you (take a number and get in line:D ).

Why not start with the VSC DXi that comes with Sonar. It doesn't have the best sounds in the world, but it's not bad. It'll at least give you a start to see if strings will really work in the song. And it won't cost you anything.

You can also try using the Live Synth Pro that is packaged with Sonar. That will allow you to use sound fonts, which will give you a broader palette to work from - since their are lots of free sound fonts available on the web. However, the LSP that comes with Sonar is only a 30 day demo - so you need to be quick. :)

dachay2tnr said:
Why not start with the VSC DXi that comes with Sonar. It doesn't have the best sounds in the world, but it's not bad. It'll at least give you a start to see if strings will really work in the song. And it won't cost you anything.

You can also try using the Live Synth Pro that is packaged with Sonar. That will allow you to use sound fonts, which will give you a broader palette to work from - since their are lots of free sound fonts available on the web. However, the LSP that comes with Sonar is only a 30 day demo - so you need to be quick. :)

What he said, but make sure you set VSC to GS mode rather than GM. There are a ton more presets in GS mode for some reason.

If you're serious and willing to spend money, there are plenty of sample library options. Garritan Orchestral Strings (and its mini version) comes to mind, as does Sonic Implants Strings. If realism is your thing, the road for you will eventually lead to things like these and the wonderful world of Giga, Kontakt, and multi-CD/DVD sample libraries...

I've played with the drum map in the Edirol DXi, but didn't realize you could do other instruments. Guess I'll have to play with it when I get home. Thanks.

Edirol VSC from Insert --> DXi menu (at least I think that's where it is, not at my studio). Is that what you're talking about??

mtardif said:
Edirol VSC from Insert --> DXi menu (at least I think that's where it is, not at my studio). Is that what you're talking about??

I think you guys are talking about dif Edirol DXIs here. Nontheless, go to their website and listen to their demo mp3s, you would be pleased with the quality.

Al

Can't speak for anyone else, but I was talking about the Edirol Virtual Sound Canvas packaged with Sonar. Although a bit weak in the sound samples, it is not half bad, and an excellent learning tool to get started with DXi's. And, best of all, you already own it.

Once you get your feet wet, and if you feel you want to continue on this path, as Sklathill indicates, there are lots of good samplers out there.

My bad. I just got confused when mtardif said "the Edirol DXi" when I'd just mentioned the "the Edirol Orchestral DXi"... ;)

You should also check the Garritan site about GPO.

Something huge for a "no brainer" price.

SergeD

As a pro violinist, let me chime in here.

A quartet is impossible. A string section might work.

There is no way to sample a violinist, it is the most expressive instrument, with exception of the human voice. A string section is a plethora of sounds that blend together.

When using samples of strings, the articulation is the hardest part. We literally have millions of ways to articulate a passage.

I have heard some samples that sound good, but I have never heard a solo violin, viola or Cello that works. Too many variables, we change our sound on every single note, and our vibrato is comparable to a human voice.

If you want a string quartet, go out and hire one. For a string SECTION, you could get by with some samples, if you have the right articulations.

DavidK said:
A quartet is impossible. A string section might work.
Understandable...I'll keep messing with it. I've found so many different DXi's and sound fonts that I could probably spend the rest of this year going through them. By quartet, I really meant that intimate sound that's not spread across the entire sound stage like recorded orchestral samples are, but you're right, it would be impossible to compose a completely systhesized 4 parted piece and actually make it sound real.

Thanks for everyone's help. Any more suggestions of where to get either good string dxi's or sound fonts would be awesome. I've got until January to finish this song, so there's plenty of time to find the right sound :D

I suggest that you hire a keyboardist, Normally good ones have a good keyboard (I really like Roland strings). And if it is only chord pads you don't need Keith Emerson or Rick wakeman to do the Job! For not too expensive (Less that 100$) I'm sure they'll run at your studio.

Thierry

lapieuvre said:
I suggest that you hire a keyboardist, Normally good ones have a good keyboard (I really like Roland strings). And if it is only chord pads you don't need Keith Emerson or Rick wakeman to do the Job! For not too expensive (Less that 100$) I'm sure they'll run at your studio.

Thierry

Why would anybody hire a keyboardist to play violin parts?

That's like hiring a plumber to do your taxes. If you want strings, hire a string player. If you want sampled strings, do them yourself.

With all the tools available, anyone can do some string parts via midi, so dig in and try, but dont hire a keyboard player to play string parts:cool:

Back