I need something to record to under $350

That_Abbott

I would prefer it to be a digital recorder and I'm thinking of the fostex mr-8. What do you think of that recorder, and is there anything that you like better? Keep in mind under 350 bucks.
Thanks

Another option would be a used Boss BR-8. You should be able to get one off of ebay for under $350. They are a discontiued model but that does not mean it's not decent machine. They are very easy to learn. My tunes are recorded on this machine if you want to take a listen. Keep in mind that any muddiness is due to the fact that I don't know what I'm doing with the eq and not the machine. http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/552/nathan_p_holly.html

But under $350 is a tough price tag if you want to go for a new digital recorder. The BR-532 may be in that price range though. However I have not heard any recordings done on a 532 so I can't tell you what it can do. I do know it's a 4 track. BTW, all I really know anything about is Roland/Boss products. There maybe better options than these for the price.

That_Abbott said:
I would prefer it to be a digital recorder and I'm thinking of the fostex mr-8. What do you think of that recorder, and is there anything that you like better? Keep in mind under 350 bucks.
Thanks

i would get a soundcard and go computer route, seems like the more versatile and expandable option

Computer-wise, you can kind of do this if you already have monitors or speakers for mixing.

1. M-Audio Audiophile 2496 ($149)
2. Presonus Tube Pre ($99)
3. cables ($25)
4. shitty headphones for overdubs ($25)
5. Cakewalk Guitar Tracks ($49)

voila!

whoa! I saw the ram. 64MB isn't probably gonna cut it for most stuff. you may want to use that 25 bucks towards headphones and upgrade your ram to at least 256MB.

Stone

That_Abbott said:
Now, how many tracks would I be able to make with that set up?

Tracks number won't be a matter here. You can record as many track as you want. The only limitation is you can only record up to two tracks mono (or one stereo) simultaneously...

;)
Jaymz

That_Abbott said:
OK since we are talking about this, I already have a pre amp, its a Studio Project VTB-1. Now, how many tracks would I be able to make with that set up?
Thanks

So you have 350 to spend and you already have a single channel pre? I would still get the same soundcard ($149) get AKG240 headphones ($89 but you'll use them forever) mayb an oktava 319 Microphone ($89 if you beg the GC guy...:)) and the cables (~$25).

Well, Guitar Tracks is only 8 audio and no midi. If you want more, borrow fifty bucks and get Cakewalk Home Studio. It has unlimited Audio and Midi.

stone

woah, you mean I could have as many tracks as I want with that set up? I understand why I would only be able to record two tracks at a time because the soundcard only has two inputs. What I am wondering now, is how do my computer specs come into the equation, if it doesn't determine how many tracks I can have?
Thanks again

That_Abbott said:
woah, you mean I could have as many tracks as I want with that set up?

:o Ugh, sorry. I didn't see stonepiano's post it's Cakewalk Guitar Track :D. Yes, it only serves you 8 track audio, while Guitar Track Pro serves you 32 tracks.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/GuitarTracksPro/Comparison.asp

Cakewalk Home Studio & SONAR will handle unlimited Audio & MIDI tracks. About your system, I'll urgently suggest you to add more RAM. Cum' ooon. RAM is cheap now, you'll notice very big differences on your system performance with say 256MB or even 512MB. And RAM is has more thing to do with audio track limitation than CPU power & HD speed (so far I know).

Back