I need some serious help

blarg

So I just got my Presonus Firestation. Seems cool, but man I can not figure this thing out. So I plug it in after installing all of the drivers and turning off my computer, I check the control panel, and I've got nothing, there's apparently no inputs, at the same time, I have my sound on and XP SP1, and you can hear the sound as though the something was plugged in, then it makes the sound as though it were unplugged (I'm talking about the sound XP makes when a plug and play device is plugged or unplugged). It keeps on doing that. I'm thinking about uninstalling the drivers and installing them again. What should I do? Any help would be great.

Before you go any further, check to see if your firewire controller is using an NEC chipset, the firestation has some issues with using anything else, including the common TI chipset. I've gone through this with a firestation before and it can be a complete P.I.T.A.

where can I find which chipset it uses. I've looked at the device manager, at the package, and I tried to find the site online. No luck.

All it says there is Device Type: IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers -> Manufacturer: VIA -> Location PCI Bus 3, device 0, function 0. Would VIA be the chipset. If so, where can I get a NEC chipset.

You'd have to buy a pci based firewire card that utilizes the NEC chipset, if you're on a laptop, you're going to need a PCMCIA card. Did you buy the Firestation used or new? If I were you, I'd also make sure there is a chance to return or trade up on the unit. In my experience, I was able to get it working on my desktop and not on my laptop, which defeated it's purpose for me, so I returned it.

depressing news for me given the fact that I'm on a laptop, but I'm gonna try the PCMCIA card. I'll at least try it before I make any drastic moves. I bought off of ebay, so returning it has a pretty grim chance. Which leaves me with very few options. Thanks for all of the help though man.

Back