I need some help

jonnyc

I have a dumb question and I know I should know the answer. For the first time in probably 150 recordings I have a singer that insists on having reverb during tracking. I have no clue if this is possible,but if so can someone describe in detail how to do this. I would rtfm but I lost it in a move months ago. thanks in advance for the help.

Well this is probably not the help you are looking for but if this guy is so particular, and I do understand his point of view, then he must have his own outboard reverb that he uses all the time. Maybe you could tactfully suggest that he bring it along so that he'd feel completely comfortable with the sound.

Rusty K

it's possible. In fact it's extremely common...I'm surprised you haven't been asked before. I always give a singer a reverb channel. Most vocalists can't stand to hear their voice as dry as we like to have them recorded. Vocal booths (if you have one) are usually really dry sounding which gives us control later. But vocals sit well in a mix with reverb. This is the reason why we all say we sound good when we sing in the shower...it's really the echo of the room that makes us think we sound good (or makes me think I do).

What you need to do is just create a reverb track like you normally would. Set up a reverb plugin on an aux track and bus the vocal track there using a send. Set up a quick little mix so you don't get TOO much vocal and start recording.

will this work even if you are working in low latency..i have a digi 001

edit...
actually, I'm not 100% on that. I know plugins on the audio tracks you are recording too will be bypassed, but I'm not positive if aux tracks will be bypassed as well. Try it and see

Back