i need some help with drum mics

hardcore guy

So I decided to start getting into home recording again. I've made a lot of crappy 4 track recordings in the past of my youth with crappy mics and I didn't really realize how important the mics were.
Anyhow, right now I have an Oktava 219 condenser. I bought this because I saw a local engineer using these as drum overheads and I got a good deal from a friend. I don't like this as an overhead, they shouldn't be used for that in the first place. What are other good uses for this mic?
I just bought an m-audio omni interface. So I'll probably be using cool edit pro or a free version of pro tools unless the omni comes with some decent software.
I also just bought a shure drum mic kit with 3 pg56 mics for toms and a pg52 for kick although I already have a beta52 that I'll be using for kick. So I'll probably use the pg52 for floor tom and a pg56 for the hanging tom.
I have two sm57's, I was going to use one on snare but I would like to try something better. I want a full, vibrant, natural sound and I don't think the sm57 can deliver it. The snare sound is really important to me, my snare sounds great to me and I want to capture it's natural sound but don't know what mic to use.

What I really need is a good set of overhead condensers. I've been looking into oktava mk012's and that is what I really want but I have little money right now. Demand on those is high and supply is low so I would end up paying like $350 on a matched pair. Do they really have to be matched? I've also been looking at Audix f15s (for the budget) and mxl 603's. I know I should just go for the Oktava's but I think I need to get something cheaper to hold me over until I can afford them. I have some radio shack small diaphram condenser that i got for free but I don't expect anything good out of that.

The band I'm recording is a new project of mine, it's kind of an experimental punk band with just a juno60, drums and vocals. We use a lot of amps and make it nice and loud to fill the gaps and lack of layers. If any of you are familiar with the band Lightning Bolt, it's that kind of concept we have. So I need to get a real power drum sound to make this work. Please share your comments, they will be appreciated.

also

I was also wondering about mic pre-amps. I not really familiar with these. Do I need them? The omni has two xlr inputs with built in pre-amps and phantom power. I was going to use these for the kick and snare. There are also two 1/4 inputs in the back of the omni. I was going to plug two overheads and the two tom mics into my eurorack mixer and pan them separately so the toms will be in one input on the omni and overheads in another. I know I won't be able to get stereo sound this way but it will help me control the sound while mixing more easily. Tell me if this is a good idea or if I need mic pre-amps.

Not to be rude, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE search for these things! :o

Right now you don't really even have to search, as there are already 2 threads about drum miking just on the first page of the mics forum. If the threads that are already there don't answer your questions, then feel free to ask and we will gladly help, but lately we've been bombarded with drum miking threads that all seem to be asking the same thing.

For the question about mic preamps, there are several threads going for this over in the "Nnewbies" and "Computer Recording and Soundcards" forums.

You're right, sorry.
I've read a lot of stuff so far, I guess I just wanted answers on more of a personal basis. But I totally understand what you're saying and I'll be on the look out more from now on. I will always be a noob.

Back