I Need Some Fresh Ears

jjtcorsair

I just finished this song for my girlfriend but before I burn it to CD I thought I'd run it through the gauntlet. It's a latin tune, with spanish lyrics. I wish I had a nylon string guitar but I made due with my Taylor steel string.

I'm looking for opinions on the mix...

The song is called "TENGO HAMBRE"

http://members.tripod.com/jontitle

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Impressive! I don't understand a word, but from a musical/technical standpoint, it's very well done. Excellent harmonies, balance and overall sound of the mix are very good. The only thing that sticks out a bit too much, are the drum fills. They are brighter and louder than the rest of the mix, and they seem a little rushed sometimes. Otherwise, it's a very solid song! Nice work. :cool:

My (very) loose translation would be:

"I am hungry for your heart."

This is a little tune about canibalism, a too often overlooked song subject.

:D

JJ- It sounds great to me. I listened a couple of times, and I missed every single flaw that those who post after me will point out in great detail.

You're beyond my ability to critique.

post lots,
-chris

Looney- Thanks for the quick response and the praise. I think you are noticing the timbale fills before the chorus, yes, they are the loudest thing in the mix, I will shave them down a bit. As far as being rushed- I don't know, I'll give it another listen.

Chrisharris- Your very loose translation would be right on the mark. The song would never work in english unless it was Hannibal's theme song. Fortunately in Spanish, heart and love are a bit more synonimous (at least I hope). Thanks for the comments on the mix, although I don't agree with you being beyond my ability to comment- you have ears after all. By the way, I don't speak Spanish very well but my mother does, and she double checked my work.

Jon

Jon, I listened on computer speakers w/subwoofer at medium to low volume (getting late here in the cst).
Sounded great to me. Guitars clear and deep, percussion adding movement and sizzle. Lead vocal and bkgrnd vocals right on the money, dynamics excellent.
I'm pretty sure your girlfriend is gonna dig this.:cool:
While I was listening, checked the link to what you do for a living.
Let's just say it's not the everyday job description.
Nice work...on this song and elsewhere.

Mark

Well done. Nice space. Nice depth. I like the smiley face panning (whats furthest from the center is the loudest and whats centered is set back.) I havent done that much but its great on an ambient mix. The vocals were a bit too set back though and could use a bit of upper mid definition. The percussion is very nice and tasteful. I agree with the post above that said the guitar could be more up front.

nice sound.. maybe bring up the guitars a bit, and maybe could use a bit more clarity on the vox in a few spots..

other than that, sounds good.. nice guitar playing and sounds..

This is great Jon.I didnt understand a word but the melody is infectious.I like it.......I cant hear anything wrong with this at all.The mix Sounds great.

Thats a heck of a resume you have there at IMDB.com.Glad to hear you're back at work!;)

Good tune!

Hey dude,

I couldn't hear a thing that I'd want to change. Your git solo/fills were very fitting and sweetly played, particularily the solo ending with the harmonics:cool:
Loved the chorus vox........I kinda missed the backround "AIYEEEEEEEEE..HAHAha..." but, that's just me:)

Has the benefactor of your hunger heard it yet? I'm sure she'll be flattered beyond repair.

Very nice recording and performance.

Peace,
Theron.

MKG- Thanks for the late night listen and the compliments. Also on my resume. I only wish my musical resume was as filled out. But hey, I consider myself very lucky.

JuSumPilgrim- I pulled the guitars up a bit, they could use it. I've never heard it called smiley face panning- but it works for me. Thanks for checking it out.

B.SABBATH- I still haven't updated my software, so I can't eq the vocals once they're printed. Maybe I'll export to Sound Forge and back again. Thanks for the input.

Kramer- Wow! You flatter me. I'll never post again!

Theron- The alternative mix will feature Mexican yodeling throughout. My girlfriend will hear it tomorrow, I'm hoping it will do the trick. Thanks for the compliments on the guitar playing- that feels good, since I think I suck.

Thanks again everybody, your input is invaluable.

Jon

Jon, listening now and can't find anything wrong your mix. Really nice job. Good separation and the vocals have good volume. Wish I could understand what you were saying...:-)

jjtcorsair said:

JuSumPilgrim- I pulled the guitars up a bit, they could use it. I've never heard it called smiley face panning- but it works for me. Thanks for checking it out.

Jon

Well theres smiley face EQ which is the hyped top, hyped bottom and set back midrange, smiley faced panning just seemed an appropriate descriptin to what I was hearing.

Good work. Id like to hear more along these lines.

:)

What are you monitoring with?

I wish I could listen in hi-fi. My machine only lets me listen to about the first 10 seconds of a song ... but, from that I can tell you that this has a very good sound to my ears. I really like the percussion elements you had going on.

But then, after the first 10 seconds, poof ... no more song. Oh well, what I heard sounded good!

hey jjt,
I really enjoyed this song - am i right in thinking you cant really speak the language???? If so that was a brilliant effort! well it was brilliant anyway.

You got that steel string to sound pretty rich - what did you do to it to make it sound more "classical" ?? or am i speaking drivel ? ?......

I think you're voice is awesome and perfect for this style of music - the harmonies were almost perfect!

All in all i think your girlfriend will LOVE it. Keep us posted as to her reaction!

Well done cya

Great execution on the tune Really nice chops on the lead guitar too. My ONLY complaint is it's just a little harsh/overly bright in my humble opinion. Just a little. It sounds pretty good.

Clay- Thanks for the kudos. I know very little Spanish but growing up I heard it a lot. My mom speaks fluently. I think that helped. Also she helped with some of the grammar with my english to spanish translation.

JuSumPilgrim- You can always tell if someone knows how to set a graphic eq on their stereo system if it looks like a smile. Generally, anyway. I like the new term.

boydrj- What kind of a system only lets you listen to 10 seconds of anything? Are you streaming or downloading? Anyway, thanks for the compliments, it means a lot considering you only heard the opening.

yiordanaki- Thanks for all the great things you said. I really don't understand spanish that well. There is a translation website that helped me fine tune it-
http://babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn
I recorded the guitars with 8-12k rolled off about 6db. I thought it helped mellow the steel string brightness a bit.

Track Rat - you're too kind, thanks for the compliments on the guitar playing. You know, the brightness thing has been an issue with all my home recordings. I'm using headphones for the most part and then checking the mix on a pair of Audix PH5's. The speakers always seem bright. I considered running the mix through a low pass in Sound Forge but decided not to. Maybe I'll give that a try after all. The percussion sounds (Roland Fantom) especially the shaker are definately on the bright side and I think that's where most of it is coming from. Thanks for the listen.

I presented the song to my girlfriend yesterday- I handed her the cd that I had burned. At first she thought it was a "mix cd". I had to tell her three times- "No, I wrote and recorded a song for you". Well, she listened to it 4 times in a row and gushed continually how much she loved it and how no one has ever done that for her. She has a pretty good grasp of Spanish so she understood it for the most part. She was so happy all day long. She even said it was "sexy"! Whoa. I tell you, writing a song for a girl can really give you points. Of course, I learned how to play the guitar in the first place so I could get chicks.

Gracias a todo :)
Jon

AAAhhhhh

Jon - Now THAT'S the update I was waiting for. I don't know much about mixin' stuff, but I know chicks dig songs about themselves.

Nice job,
-chris

Back