I need some fresh ears

ragata

Finished off a three day session with a local rock band today, and started mixing on my own this evening. The mix is still very rough, and if someone would be kind enough to give some feedback that'd be great :)

Tama Rockstar drumkit
OH: adk sc-1's through a mindprint di-port
Kick: D112 through Dynamix3000 pre
Snare Top: 57 through Focusrite Trakmaster
Snare Bottom & Toms: 57s through Dynamix3000
Room: ADK A51 through Dynamix3000

Guitars
M260 & sm57 through Trakmaster & Dynamix

Vocals
M260 through Trakmaster

The bass was DI'd.
Spontaniously, I think I might have to work on the bass a bit more, and the guitars sound a bit too small. Any ideas?

hey dude i had a listen and i d say that if your talkin about the guitars at the first verse bein small, if you panned a little less hard like a 60/40 left/right or maybe a 75/25 it would bring them up in the mix abit or maybe even just double the guitar tracks you feel are small and offset one about 1/10 of a sec from the other one...

-but past the verse i really dont hear a problem with the guitars they sound really good....

btw i like the thin guitars on the verse , i might even go all the way with 100% pan to the left channel and make it even thinner for the dynamics cause when that riff of the bridgechorus comes in it would really catch the ear... if i was feeling experimental

excellent track friend
just my 2 cts

Last edited:
Wow when you said you thought the guitars were a bit small, I actually thought it would be a problem. All I'm hearing in those guitar tracks are good. Panning them a bit less may bring some tightness to the mix, but this is pretty fitting so far. Nice drum sound. Snare couldn't be better, but I'd add some low to that bass drum, this could be me saying this cause I'm listening on crappy headphones. Well done voice. This mix really doesn't need much at all. Well done, welll done!

Ben

e unum pluribus & emergencyexit:

Cheers guys, I really appretiate your comments! Thanks for the encouragement.
Actually the guitars have all been doubled twice as well as the vocals (most of the time). It was three songs in three days, so we took our time. I will experiment with the panning and see what it'll do. Right now there's four takes 35% L/R and four 75%, so there's eight rythm tracks all in all.
Not my band BTW, just to clearify that ;)
I think I'll cut back on the treble on the guitars a bit though. I believe they're a wee bit sharp. I've worked a bit more on the toms and the bass since I posted this. The real mixdown isn't due until next weekend however, so I've got time to make it perfect :)

Anyone else?

Last edited:
Back