i need some advice

atw23

i need help composing songs without a band

i have a few questions

i know it depends on the song but do u usually start with a melody or drum beat, and do u just layer tracks or try to record multiple tracks?

i have a digital recorder which makes things easier, and a drum machine, but i cant seem to create melodies around someone elses drum beat, usually ill lay down melody tracks first then add the drum beat on top of that, but its nearly impossible to manually press the little buttons or program it and stay in time.

those of u who compose without a band, how do u create dynamics in your songs without a drummer or bassist to create rythme changes.

maybye i shouldent expect to do to much with a drum kit or bassist, but any advice would really help, thanks.

well....

the beat or tempo is usually the last part of my compositions but, the first tracks to lay down when recording.....it can be adjusted as you go...ya know? You can develop the melody prior to recording and work out a tempo/beat that you like.......lay it down....then track the melody to it...

Classically, people start with a progression within any given key.
Personally, I take the Tonic, subdominant and Dominant (or Dominant-7th)and work out the bed harmony first....then develop a melody by running up and down the scale within the key....
this is ass backwards to what classically trained composer might do. My skill level with melody is poor but, I am striving to improve.
Melody seems to be the focus and the harmony second...then arrangement and tempo come into play...this is where it gets interesting for me....figuring out which instruments will sound good with the tune and at what intervals to play them...

When I record, I layer tracks....one at a time...it's just me...ya know?

Take it easy man,
Joe

Just take your inspiration from wherever it comes - sometimes it'll be a bass line, sometimes a melody snippet, sometimes a lyric, sometimes a chord progression. I've written songs from all these angles, one way isn't necessarily better than another.

On the other hand, starting with lyrics helps head off the writer's block that can come when you got a melody and still don't even know what the topic of your song is going to be.

atw23 said:
those of u who compose without a band, how do u create dynamics in your songs without a drummer or bassist to create rythme changes.

I gave up playin in a band a couple years ago because ...well...musicians are flakes (me included). In a band, you have several peoples unique perspectives that add dynamics and influence the overall sound. Not so when youre alone...its just you...and your perspective. You need to look at it that way. Dont try to be each member at the same time.

I take an idea, melody or riff and lay down very basic tracks just to get started (kick/snare, bass, guitar...maybe a vocal if needed). I use that to flesh out the lyrics and arrangment. I then listen to that over and over...and over....I listen for things in my head like solos and drum rolls, rests and such, then I retrack everything and add those things (the dynamics).

Ive tried a few different approaches to recording cus Im still learning and found that the drums are easier to program last, or close to it. You should have a basic kick/snare beat to keep everything in time from the original tracking and it should just be a matter of filling in the blanks with rolls and such.

Ultimately I think you should approach each intrument as that player when youre tracking...think like a bassist for bass, a drummer for drums, etc... instead of thinking like a songwriter playing each intrument.

good luck

Back