I need Serious Advice

Soundscaper

Would all of you be so kind to please take a listen to our new MP3 we just posted on our web site. I am 22 and my friend is 19 we need some advice on a song we just wrote. The MP3 is
"One of these days"

Here is our Studio Site:

www.mindspring.com/~martyv

Sorry,

I tried to access the song, but apparently there is a problem with the link. I was brought to an earthlink page that said:

EarthLink Navigation Help

We're sorry, but we weren't able to find a page at the Web address you entered (if you followed a
link, it may be out of date).

I will check back later to see if it is fixed.

-john

Hey Sound,

ummm.....I'm gonna kinda be blunt...but I don't mean to shoot your studio down....more of a suggestion.......

I would seriously reconsider taking down all your we love god-become a christian stuff....very very very bad for business.....

If you were recording just christian or gospel I would understand and since it seems like thats what you focus on....maybe its cool...but you also advertise that you record any style of music - and if thats your intention then I would remove the I love jesus's stuff and keep it business related......Just a suggestion

As far as the track is concerned.....I'm not into the music, however it definately expresses your ability as an engineering studio....vocals, music, and everything else is mixed very good....

gec, I think it's interesting that you seem to always assume that everything everyone posts is just about the "business" or something....At least that's what I get from reading your posts.........If I thought like that all the time I would drive myself crazy...............And don't come back at me with some rant about how soundscaper and the rest of the folks you reply to only want to hear about the business side of things....Cause I don't want to here it.........

There's nothing wrong with just having fun and giving your CDs away to your relatives and putting posters of whatever the hell you want .............

Why don't you take those dollar signs out of your eyes for just a second, just so I can see whether your actually a real person or not....

Soundscaper, Rock ON brotha....nice work man.....You guys got it going....:)

-nave

yeah, I ain't gonna do this in this cats post....so come on over to the visitor section nave

Please keep the advice coming!!!!! Thanks for the suggestions!
We are a Christian Only Recording Studio. For the person who could not download the MP3 please try again it seems to be working now.

Thanks

the stuff sounds fairly decent and clean. There did seem to be some tuning problems on the solo violen (0:30, for instance) and a harmon mute trumpet (1:32, 2:49..in fact, it sounds like the same riff??) on the tune...and a couple other places. Same with the vocals. As a suggestion, for a recording studio sampler, you might try a couple short snippits of a couple different styles, rather than one 3:53 song. Either you like this song, or you don't. Nice picture of the control room. Looks inviting, even though all you are "boasting" equipment wise appears to be a DAW. If I was in the area, I would certainly like to hook up and give you a visit. Your cause is perfect, btw.

I might interest you in some of my music too...it's here in the clinic, and is primarily Christian based too.
....or the link is: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/9/1322/album54.shtml

Interesting, good work.

As mix noticed, that fiddle is mighty flat at 29 seconds, the low b-flat. I personally might take the fiddle out; it really clashes with the synth strings at the beginning. ( I am a pro violinist, sorry if I am stepping on your toes!), and the sound of the fiddle isnt quite right. Nice song though.

I liked your website very much. One problem for me: it took forever to download this tune. I am on dial-up, but we are talking 25 minutes. I guess patience IS a virtue after all.:)

DavidK said:
Interesting, good work.

As mix noticed, that fiddle is mighty flat at 29 seconds, the low b-flat. I personally might take the fiddle out; it really clashes with the synth strings at the beginning. ( I am a pro violinist, sorry if I am stepping on your toes!), and the sound of the fiddle isnt quite right. Nice song though.

I liked your website very much. One problem for me: it took forever to download this tune. I am on dial-up, but we are talking 25 minutes. I guess patience IS a virtue after all.:)

Yeah....no wonder it took you that long. It is over 7mb!!

Suggesiton, cut the 256 bitrate down to something a little more 56k friendly bud. Maybe 128 or 160.

About the mix, sorry got to the first few lines of the verse and had to shut it off. I have issues with Christianity so it is a bit tough of me to listen to something so bluntly christian.

No disrespect to you of course. :) From what I heard it sounded pretty good.

Welcome, Soundscaper...

I gave it a listen, but before I comment, here's a comment to gec...

It does NOT say anywhere on the site that they record other types of music other than Christian (with a capital "C", buddy..)
music. As a matter of fact, it states that is exactly what they do. So get off your silly little soapbox.

Keep the posters up, my man...

Now-On to the song:

I agree that the violin was out of tune, and if David K. says it is out of tune, then it is out of tune.

I thought the song was ok, nothing that would stick in my head nor bother me. Rather polite & inoffensive.

But I was quite impressed with the production of the tune.
Very evenly mixed, nice backing vocals as well.

Overall-A very good job!

VI

Oh Yeah...

One other note...

The website design is excellent, but I think the rapture will come before I ever get the site to load each time I click on something on it.

May the Lord bless your ministry! (And speed up your site!)

VI

Thanks again guys!! I am loading up the site again with a smaller MP3 of the song :-) along with some more inprovements. Please keep giveing us suggestions. I belive I will re-record the violin part. I have only been playing for 2 weeks :-) I hope to get better. David K if you have any more violin suggestions please give them :-)

Keep them coming.

It sounded good, but I could barely sit through it, no offense to any Christians on here, but it is far from my thing. Mix sounded good from what I heard.

Jake

You really are a villiage idiot........He has changed the site content since my post you dumb f***

Very good sound from your studio.
I don't like the synth string fills. A pad is ok, but the fills sound cheezy - maybe a piano patch would work better.
I agree with Davidk on the sound of the fiddle... sounds kinda like an ill oboe. :D
Vocals sound nice.
The drums don't work for me because the fills aren't all there, or they're where one wouldn't ordinarily find fills... :confused:
Also, I think I heard hand percussion in there; ie: bongos or congas - huh? what's up with that? sort of out of charater for the genre or production style - (you gotta 'scuse me though 'cause I was a percussion guy once. I tend to be harder on those parts.) :)

All-in-all a nice sound but the production of the tune could use a little work.

jitteringjim said:

I agree with Davidk on the sound of the fiddle... sounds kinda like an ill oboe. :D

Bingo. Sounds like an oboe, very piercing. The violin needs some reverb, or something. Very nasal sounding. How are you mic'ing it?

Back