I need SB Live! help bad!!

Sangram

Check out the attachment.

No level corrections are helping!!!

Recording off tape deck into SB Live! Value card. Tried latest drivers, switching off ACPI, everything.

Second problem: Refuses to record in anything above 22.05 KHz, any sample rate above gives the same kind of recording, but on playback it plays back at double (or more) its original speed no matter what.

Help me, please!

Sang

Attachments

• recfile1.mp3
    78.4 KB · Views: 30
That sounds bad indeed.
Has your sblive worked correctly before?
And please be more specific. Which recording software are you using? Which Operating System?

I can't play the file at work but I can help if you give more info. How do you have your tape deck hooked up to the SB, what software are you using and what is the problem?

SB's won't record over 22 khz.

TexRoadkill said:
I can't play the file at work but I can help if you give more info. How do you have your tape deck hooked up to the SB, what software are you using and what is the problem?

SB's won't record over 22 khz.

Sure they will. They'll go up to 48K.

It depends on what he is talking about. It will do a 48khz sampling rate but the high frequency only goes up 24khz. If he is using some home software it may be giving actual feq instead of sampling rate.

Ok, sorry about the rushed post.

This problem is occuring in both 98SE and Windows 2000. I dual boot.

Basically (for those who don't have access to audio), it sounds like I'm driving a very hot signal into a preamp, like running a line level signal into a mic input, except I'm not, positively. Lots of clipping, nasty rasping distortion. Also the Sample rate is not being converted: A signal when asked to be recorded in 48 Khz, is basically being recorded in 22 KHz and played back at 48 KHz, sounding speeded up.

I've got and AMD XP1800+ system, KT266a based Soltek, 256 MB RAM, ACPI is enabled on both OSs. The SB Live! is giving me these problems in all slots and with ACPI enabled and disabled.

The SB Live! has worked correctly before, well sorta. I could record at 48 KHz only, after nudging it a bit (recording at a lower sample rate and then recording at higher sample rate). It would give this problem at 44.1 always, no matter what I did, but recording it at 48 and resampling to 44.1 solved my basic problem. I would actually have to start a recording in 32 or 22, abort it midway about 4 or 5 secs, change the sample rate on the fly and then rerecord in 48.

After the recordings (upto about 1 hr, most of which turned out OK) I would resample and then start doing my thing with the NR and stuff. Just for an idea, here's a bit from another tape I did, I'm recreating the WAV from the MP3 stored on my computer which was ripped from the CD which I created from the tape so it's actually third gen stuff but it'll give you an idea of the quality I was getting) So that was hunky-dory.

This is happening in all software. n-Track demo, Diamond Cut, even the Windows recorder. It seems to be completely independent of OS and software.

Moving slots doesn't help. The tape deck is the same one I've used for mastering 20 odd tapes on exactly the same system, and it's connected just the way it was, to the Line-in with a 2RCA -> 3.5 mm phono plug.

The only thing I did since that project was to change the install of both 2K and 98, as the old one was beginning to wheeze a bit and not shutting down properly. I hadn't recorded anything since then, so I dunno what caused it. I tried about 4 driver installs without any improvement. Is my card going bad??? I've never heard of a soundcard going bad before, this has to be a first.

Thanks for all your replies. I would love for this to go away, I cannot afford a new card now.

Thanks,

Sang

Attachments

• untitled.mp3
    81.4 KB · Views: 2
OK, I'm sorry if this is rude or something but it's like 1 a.m or something and I hate to disappear for the next ten hours so please don't mind if I don't check this thread out till tomorrow.

I know how it feels to reply to a problem and figure the guy who posted first didn't check back and answer. I'm back on this in about ten hours. I promise.

Thanks for your replies and patiencxe, in advance.

Sang

So far I don't really have a clue. Do you have any chance of trying your sblive in another computer? Of another sblive in yours? Just to make sure the card hasn't gone bad.

I got the SB Live and I don't use any of the original drivers.

Downloaded the KXDrivers which are just great !!

Latency went from something about 40ms to 3ms !!!!

The kxDrivers's mixer is easy to use.

Download and install them - it sounds like you have a driver related problem...

gilwe.
Do you have a url where I can download those drivers? As a sblive user myself I'm always interested in alternative drivers.

OK,

I installed the Kx drivers.

My Line-in and Mic inputs don't show up anywhere. I can't record at all now. Only the Mic2/Line2 inputs are showing!!

Sang

OK I found the line in and Mic. Under AC 97 section. But the problems are intact. I'm beginning to think my card is busted.

All right 24 hours have passed and I'm nowhere near the truth. I haven't managed to wring a replacement card outta anyone yet. though I'm still on the job.

Any ideas, anyone??

OK one other thing, I use drive imaging software to keep my hard drive backed up. Is this a possibility for screwing up my config?? If so, wouldn't a reinstall of the card software fix it, 'cause I tried that too.

Why is my sample rate going haywire?? It always sounds speeded up...

Sang

OK I think it's fixed now.

Bad BIOS caused it, since I flashed back to a previous version seems OK so far.

Sang

Back