I need professional help...seriously.

RSMITH123

I am recording in Protools LE. I have a song completed and am trying to mix. I have captured great sounds and by themselves, they are wonderful. My mix seems to be good in respect to left to right and from top to bottom. I am having some trouble getting the depth I want in the mix. I am currently stuck with Digi's echo and D-Verb. Is this my problem. Will a waves reverb give me the depth I am looking for??

Thanks in advance.

The reverb shouldnt be the source of the problem.
You have to learn to create depth.

I think there are a few posts on the topic. I remember talking about it a few times. Do a search and comeback if you dont have any good info.

Shailat is right, but I'd add that the "enclosed" digi effect bundle doesn't really (or really doesn't) cut it.

I read some of the old posts on this and saw some talk about the types of reverb used. I had been trying to use a long hall and switched to a medium room, kinda like a Creed sound. This seemed to clear up the mix a lot, even with dverb. I also saw a post about layering different types of reverb and echo in the mix.

What do you think about that?

Also, I am planning to buy Wave's Renniassance which has a compressor and the Renniassance Reverb. What do you think of these?

Last issue. In trying to beef my vocal track, I used a stereo delay on 15ms and about 20%. It did thicken but also seemed to go a little out of phase. (I think this because the sound went from great to nasal). Any ideas?

Thanks;)

Its impossible to advise anyone on what type of reverb to use, each track / song / sound is different and should be treated that way. It really is a question of trial and error, play around until you come up with something that feels good on the vocal itself ... and then suits the track.

A delay will not beef a track up, if anything it will spread it through a mix.

A small amount of compression might be beneficial to pull your vocal out of the mix.

The Wav plug-ins are good. My favorite plug-in for DAW vocal recordings is TC VoiceTools

Might I also suggest to you, as I have 30 times in the last 2 months, that you try the FREE sonic timeworks ReverbX demo. Eventually someone will quit ignoring me and try it and actually realize that they just bought an $1800 reverb for $200. But until then, no one listens.

Poor tube...........

'scuse me if I'm wrong but --- isn't that a VST plug-in? Pro Tools is TDM or RTAS?

Back