I need new mics.

fretwire3d

So I have 2 Oktava mk012's, and 4 SM57, a Presonus firepod, and Nuendo 3.

I have been doing vocals with an SM57, and that worked for the thicker, wall-of-sound songs. When I have a bit of a minimalist song, the SM-57 sounds muddy and cheap for vocals. So, I tried recording vocals in stereo with a pair of the Oktava mk012's. That sounded a bit better, but it still wasn't what I was looking for in a vocal sound. I like to use quite a bit of compression will the vocal mics and when I got noticeable hiss from the Oktava's. I'm sure I could use a noise reducer plug-in or something.

I think the Oktava's are just too brilliant sounding.

I think I want something warmer and smoother sounding and something that will take a lot of compression without hissing. Would I need a better preamp? I'm using the built in pre's on the firepod.

I'm thinking about getting a ribbon mic (or a large diaphragm mic) and if needed, a new preamp and maybe a tube compressor because I’m getting sick of software stuff. I want a compressor that will go from very light compressor, to ridiculous, almost unusable, stupid compression.

I basically want to make a whole vocal chain. So if you were spending my money, what would you get? …being that you only want to spend $500 on the mic, $500 for the pre amp and $500 for a compressor or if some item is more important than another, any combination of $1500.

-Nathan

fretwire3d said:
So I have 2 Oktava mk012's, and 4 SM57, a Presonus firepod, and Nuendo 3.

I have been doing vocals with an SM57, and that worked for the thicker, wall-of-sound songs. When I have a bit of a minimalist song, the SM-57 sounds muddy and cheap for vocals. So, I tried recording vocals in stereo with a pair of the Oktava mk012's. That sounded a bit better, but it still wasn't what I was looking for in a vocal sound. I like to use quite a bit of compression will the vocal mics and when I got noticeable hiss from the Oktava's. I'm sure I could use a noise reducer plug-in or something.

I think the Oktava's are just too brilliant sounding.

I think I want something warmer and smoother sounding and something that will take a lot of compression without hissing. Would I need a better preamp? I'm using the built in pre's on the firepod.

I'm thinking about getting a ribbon mic (or a large diaphragm mic) and if needed, a new preamp and maybe a tube compressor because I’m getting sick of software stuff. I want a compressor that will go from very light compressor, to ridiculous, almost unusable, stupid compression.

I basically want to make a whole vocal chain. So if you were spending my money, what would you get? …being that you only want to spend $500 on the mic, $500 for the pre amp and $500 for a compressor or if some item is more important than another, any combination of $1500.

-Nathan

An RNC,Audio Technica 4050 and a DMP3.
Way under $1500. Can't beat any piece in it's catagory for price.

Do it now. Find it under the chrismas tree.

You will get almost as many opinions as posts.

Here's my 2 cents:

I'd consider a Shure SM7b (@$330 new) for the mic.

Both the Shure and any ribbon you get that isn't phantom powered need lots of clean gain. I'd consider getting a AEA TRP for the preamp. Doesn't have phantom power, but has two channels with 80db of clean gain, is a high quality unit, and should power any ribbon or SM7 mic more than adequately (@$750 new). If you later need phantom, you can always buy an outboard phantom unit cheap. There isn't much out there in the way of cheap tube preamps that is worth much, perhaps except for the Brick -- which is nice but would be marginal for powering a ribbon or SM7. The other inexpensive tube preamps are starved plate designs where the tube is really used as an effect - generally to be avoided IMHO.

There are not a lot of great options out there for cheap compression. Probably the best is either a RNC (@$175 new) or RNLA (@$225 new) or both. A used DBX 160(a, x, or xt) would be @$225. Some people like the ART ProVLA compressor as well. Some price ball park. There are lots of these units available used. Do a little research on this site and Gearslutz for opinions on these units.

Good luck!

Well that wont break the budget. I was really wanting a tube preamp, one that has some dirty gain as well as clean gain.

fretwire3d said:
Well that wont break the budget. I was really wanting a tube preamp, one that has some dirty gain as well as clean gain.

Well, for not much money, this might get you to where you want to go, preamp-wise :

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Studio_Projects_VTB_1_Single_Channel_Microphone_Pr_p/2037.htm

Or if you want a clean but "classic sounding" preamp with plenty of gain (for a low output mic like a ribbon), extremely low noise, and if you're willing to solder it together yourself, this might fit your bill :

http://www.hamptone.com/HJFP2.htm

For a low cost channel strip with a clean mic pre, an optical compressor and a nice EQ section, you might look into one of these :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Joemeek-ThreeQ-Studio-Channel?sku=187021&src=3SOSWXXA

These ribbon mics have been getting a lot of good comments recently, and the prices are hard to pass up :

http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_FAT HEAD.html
http://www.shinybox.com/ShinyBox46.php

Then there's always this large diaphragm dynamic; it has plenty of output, sweet top and bottom end, and can be used on lots of sources (vocals, drums, amps, etc.) :

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/287025.html?gclid=CLqbrbibpIkCFQRDYwodtTThpg

Lots of ways to get to where you want to go, and still spend less than your maximum $$ target.

Good luck!

The review in tape op sold me on the ShinyBox 46MXL. But then for a large diaphragm, i can't help but consider the B.L.U.E. Bluebird.

I know they are completely different mics, but i can only afford one. Which one do you think would be more versatile, just in case i want to use it for close micing of drums?

I'm also liking the A.R.T. ProVLA 2-channel tube compressor.

ART Pro Channel ($300) + Rode NT2A ($400) + Shure SM7b ($350)

That would cover a lot of ground for under $1500. And you won't ever have to throw any of them away when you get more cash. Or even better, get a pair of used NT2's for $500.

Then save up for a Great River, 1176, API and Neve strips :D

pohaku said:
Both the Shure and any ribbon you get that isn't phantom powered need lots of clean gain.

The ribbons they're selling now have output that once you do the math comes out to within a fraction of a dB of the output of an SM58. If you have enough gain for any dynamic, you have enough gain for most of the modern ribbons. Vintage ribbons, not so much, perhaps.

1st off, i would personally unload a couple of the 57's, then use that cash to put toward something else

other people already brought up whatever i might consider purchasing if in your position, so i'll leave it at that

I think I'd go with a Shure SM7b, a Great River ME-1NV, and an RNC. You could definitely get that combo for $1500 with a little negotiating.

I'd throw in a suggestions of Oktavamod PE MK-219 or SM-7B for the mic, UA 610/solo or 110/solo and a DBX 160(a/x/xt), or a Safe Sound P1 instead of the UA + DBX. You could also look at a Chameleon Labs 7602 and DBX instead of the UA preamp-- with that you'd get a pre, a great eq section and a solid compressor for a little less than a grand. The Safe Sound has a transparent pre with lots of headroom and a very useful and also transparent compression/expander/limiter section. The 610 is a very charactered tube pre. The 110 and 7602 are vintage-y transformer based solid state pres, with the 7602 being a Chinese manufactured bastardization of the 1073.

kojdogg said:
I'd throw in a suggestions of Oktavamod PE MK-219 or SM-7B for the mic, UA 610/solo or 110/solo and a DBX 160(a/x/xt), or a Safe Sound P1 instead of the UA + DBX. You could also look at a Chameleon Labs 7602 and DBX instead of the UA preamp-- with that you'd get a pre, a great eq section and a solid compressor for a little less than a grand. The Safe Sound has a transparent pre with lots of headroom and a very useful and also transparent compression/expander/limiter section. The 610 is a very charactered tube pre. The 110 and 7602 are vintage-y transformer based solid state pres, with the 7602 being a Chinese manufactured bastardization of the 1073.
All great advice! I'd maybe do the DBX version to have a little more compression options, the safe sound does a fabulous job on eliminating digital clipping though (set it and forget it}. You'll love the SM7, if I could only have one mic, that would be it.

Back