I need help identifying my guitar

audio_leak

hey everyone,

ive had this guitar for a couple years now, it was a present from an old fiance of my mother. he'd had it for probably 10-15 years before that. its a really nice sounding guitar, and every guitarist who has ever played it has tryed to get me to part with my pickups, or the entire guitar.

id just like to know what kind of guitar it is?

ive done a search and the closest i could find was an Ibanez SG.
would this guitar be in the same family?

1z71ojr.jpg

mio4cn.jpg

any info you could provide me with will help, thanks!

Hey that mine I've been looking for that.

No just kidding. Ya that's a pretty good guess, what about the back pics?
for serial number - you can go on Ibanze web site to look up what you have.
What type of tuning pegs are they?

10ojnk1.jpg

says "MADE IN JAPAN" on the back

dq6q1v.jpg

i5aeyc.jpg

sorry its a bit blurry, its got stars on the back of the tuning pegs, not sure what kind they are sorry, i dont know much about guitars in this area. just how to play one! lol

i cant seem to see a serial number anywhere on the guitar either :(

one experienced guitarist i talked to mentioned something about a "set-back era"
he said this could be one of the guitars that wasnt continued by Ibanez because it too closely resembled a Gibson model. im not sure how correct this info is, but thats what he told me.

I can't make out what is on the headstock but maybe try googling that.Or go to ebay and do a search.Ibanez had several lawsuits back in the 70's for their gibson knock-offs.I kow the ibanez 'rocket roll' flying v was a lawsiut era axe and go for a pretty penny nowadays.

theres no additional writing on the headstock

the only writing on the entire guitar is the ibanez logo, and the "made in japan" on the back plate. ive checked it all over but i cant find anything written anywhere.

yeah i have searched ebay, and countless google pages and find lots of similar guitars, but nothing the same as mine. just thought somebody here might have an idea where to look some more.

yeah thats kind of my my guitarist friend said to me, he said its a pretty expensive guitar anyway, but if it was something like that it would obviously be worth alot more.

im not planning on selling it or anything, just like to know some more about it.

thanks

ive been looking specificlly at sites about SGs and i think mine is definitly part of the SG family.

most of what ive read refers to a "law-suit era" sometime around the early seventys, in which id be confident in saying this guitar would be from.

however, i have seen many ibanez SGs which are the exact same body, color, shape but have different features in the head stock, pick guards, ect.

the guy i got it from never really played it, it was just hanging on a wall for 10 years, so im pretty sure everything thats on the guitar would be as stock as the day he bought it. although he has quite a bit of money, so im sure it went into a shop a few times, so theres a possibilty there was some mods done on it.

would it be more likely that hes just bought some custom parts for the guitar and thats why mine looks different to anything i can find? or could it be that i havent found the right model yet, and mine could be something more rare (or more common?)

i took it apart for cleaning and the bridge has...

S.T. BRIDGE

written on the back of it.

i still havent found any other writing on it, and no serial numbers.

still looking for any help!

thanks

better pics:

einrlz.jpg

50p4w7.jpg

2wnz3a8.jpg

Last edited:
I had a couple of Ibanezs from the lawsuit era and I can't believe I ever got rid of them.I still like Ibanez,but they're not as good as they were back then.

What else are you trying to find out? It's an Ibanez knockoff of the SG, for which they got sued by Gibson, probably over Ibanez' use of the Gibson-trademarked headstock design.

Many Japanese guitar makers got their start by making cheaper copies of established instruments and trying to capitalize on an existing market. As to your guitar's worth, that depends a lot on how many they were able to crank out before Gibson's lawyers got to them.

I'll note that with a bolt-on neck, that copy is never going to sound anything alike even a decent SG knockoff, much less a Gibson.

ah well i wasnt going to sell it anyway, just wanted to know if i had a nice guitar or not, and i was looking for more details about it.

guess i got that question answered, kind of disapointing :(

it still sounds great.

EDIT: sorry guys, forgot to say thanks, so thanks heaps! appreciate it

Back