i need help building a workstation desk? :( PLEASE HELP ME T_T

andrewkim9711

I'm planning to make a desk for my home recording studio, and I'm going to make a shelve(?) for the midi keyboard which is going to be inside the shelve and on top of it will be my monitor.
and on the side of the midi shelve i'm going to make two more shelves for the speakers on top of it and inside the two shelves i'm going to put the audio interface and some controllers in it.

the desk I'm going to buy is this one:
20140203_145330.png
and i'm going to build it like this :

20140203_144212.png20140203_144621.png20140203_144637.png20140203_144725.png

I'll buy wood panels and planks for the MIDI keyboard and the speakers, and i'm going to get a panel for the keyboard and mouse also on the bottom of the desk as shown above.

here are my questions:

1 : 1 x 2 x 8 Primed Finger Joint Board-347154 at The Home Depot

this was the type of wood I was going to get. is this a good choice?

2 : if I want to get a board that is about 40 inches wide and 12 inches deep, and 1 inches thick for the MIDI keyboard, would the home depot workers cut the board as I want? which is 40"x12"x1" ?

3 : is there any changes you guys would make?

4 : other than home depot, is there any other good hardware stores that would fit my needs?

Home Depot sells some nice ball bearing drawer slides with 100lbs+ ratings that are great to make a computer keyboard slide out shelf unit instead of just a storage box. Lowes also has good stuff too.

I built my own desk, its a little more different design than the desk you've shown.

View attachment 84920

Building one from scratch let me position my gear easily within visual & arms reach for a smooth work flow during recording & mixing. It took a little time, but the end result works well for my needs.

1 MyStudio.jpg

Take your time, figure out what you need now & in the future and you'll figure out what will work best for your creative flow.

Good luck!

thanks, your answer helped me a lot :)

also, does home depot cut the wood panels for you to fit your needs?

say I got a 10 by 10 inch wood panel and i want to cut it to 7 by 7 so i can attach the ball bearing drawer slides to place the keyboard. would they do that for me?

Yes, both Home Depot & Lowes will usually cut any wood you buy from them.
Just make sure the guy cutting understands exactly what you're building with it.

Hope it helps.

Back