I NEED HELP (big time)

7evin

I have the following equipment for MAC OSX:

Motu pci-424 w/ 2408mk3 interface (I have two of them)
Motu MIDI timepiece AV-USB

The signal is coming from a Mackie 8bus mixer. What outputs do I use on the mixer to get to the MIDI equip? Right now I went from the channel inserts on the console to the 2408mk3. On the back of the 2408mk3 there are 8 1/4" analog in and analog outs. Are these the right inputs? I did get a signal come through the 2408mk3, yet just wanted to make sure that I got that part right.

If anyone can figure this out for me... you will be "GODLIKE" in my eyes. LOL

Sevin

As far as connecting your 24*8 to the midi timepiece, forget it. The 24x8 isn't midi controllable or capable, or MTC, SMPTE or MMC capable for that matter. It's built for just audio, not midi stuff. Connect the MidiTimepiece to a rack of synthesizers, and then take the audio off the synth & connect that to the 24*8. The only time I know that you might connect the midi timepiece directly to the 24*8 would be for running SMPTE to an analog recorder with your system...but you're an analog recorder short for this.

For connecting the 8 bus to your PCI424/2408mk3 setup, download this manual:
http://www.mackie.com/pdf/8bus_om.pdf

and check out pages 24-37.

Just remember that the Mackie manual calls your Motu 2408 a multitrack recorder, Mackie OUT to 2408 IN, 2408 OUT to Mackie IN, and you'll be set.

As a side note, the manual will suggest that you connect the 2408 up to the tape outs...which is fine until you find the microphone that was hooked to channel 1 can be recorded on 1,8 and 17 all at the same time due to the 24*8 grouping the tape outs. Some people like this 'feature'...and some of us lose track of where the hell the vocal just went, just to find it later in the middle of the drum tracks. I connected all of my MDR's ins to the channel direct outs because of it.....channel 1 is always channel 1 now.

Anyway, hopefully that gives you a direction to go.

Todd

Back