i need feedback

atw23

i dont know if this is possible but im trying to get long sustain that u hear on pink floyd solos or guns and roses november rain

im recording direct without an amp, maybye im already screwed then... i cant get the sustain i want without excessive distortion.

i have a p.o.d and i considered buying a ibanez tube screamer i dont know if that would make a difference.

i know having an amp is the best way to get feedback sustain,
but if u have any ideas it would be really helpful.

You'll find some guitar processors that offer a footswitch sustain function, but in reality all they do is capture a sample of the signal when you press the switch, and then hold it indefintely. It sounds extremely flaky. Once you press the switch, you lose all control over the signal until you press the switch again to release the sample.

The beauty of doing it with an external amp is that you can vary the intensity by moving towards and away from the amp's speaker, you can also vary the tone by ever so slightly adding vibrato or by bending the string.

There's nothing quite like standing in "the zone" in from you amplifier and getting that beautiful wavering tone going. Listen to "Bullet the Blue Sky" by U2 for an excellent example.

atw23 said:
i dont know if this is possible but im trying to get long sustain that u hear on pink floyd solos or guns and roses november rain

im recording direct without an amp, maybye im already screwed then... i cant get the sustain i want without excessive distortion.

i have a p.o.d and i considered buying a ibanez tube screamer i dont know if that would make a difference.

i know having an amp is the best way to get feedback sustain,
but if u have any ideas it would be really helpful.

compression adds sustain, but it's probably not gonnd be enough for you tho. Gibsons are known for their nice sustain cuz of the wood being used, but that's a real expensive investment...I think you should go to a store and play with their sustain pedals.

SIZE=1]i'm not being very helpful here...[[/SIZE]

Al

Easy. Neck pick up with with a good dose of reverb.

I have found Reverb outboard gear to help lessen the noise from from excessive distortion. Its still there, it just seems quieter.

If you haven't noticed, reverb is a key point in the tone. A compressor will help to....but its the neck pickup and reverb.

(and for GNR it involves a Marshall......)

Whats will all this stuff about feedback? I thought you want the tone of GNR or FinkFloyd solos?

Feedback was just in the heading describing how atw23 wants "responses"

Used to have a hamer with a sustaniac feature built right in...that would give mucho sustain. You can also pick up an ebow, but I've never tried one, so I can't give a comment on their effectiveness.

Easiest thing would probably be to turn up your monitors and play as close to them as possible - use them as your 'amp' to generate feedback.

Back