I need Compressor Suggestions.

tmix

I am in need of at least 2 more independent channels of compression for mainly tracking purposes. Acoustic / Electric oriented Folk / Jazz / Rock type stuff.

I have 2 RNCs, and love them! but I would have to get 2 more of them to have what I need. I use them on voice and acoustic instruments.

I have 2 ART VLAs and love them too. I enjoy them on drums and e-guitars and Basses.
I have a Joe Meek MQ3 that I also use for Bass (optical compressor.)

So another 2 channel Comp that has either the transparency of the RNC or the Musicality of the VLA would be nice but a little different as well would be interesting.

I am considering the Symetrix 501 and possibly a DBX (? model), but dont know what model to look for. I had a couple of DBX 266xls and they were HORRIBLE.

Let me know your thoughts, I hope I gave enough info.
Oh yeah.. I'd love to do it for around a $100 a channel ( or cheaper if possible).

Tom

sounds like you know what the usual suspects are. i've seen used rnla's for $175 or so. some people say that the original dbx 166's are good (no xl or a). maybe a 163/163x.
you could also go for the dbx 118/119/128's

(1) You already have two of the best possible compressors in the "budget-friendly" arena.

(2) I wouldn't record through a compressor anyway (99% of the time). Is there a particular reason you want to record through a compressor?

Question: What are the Con's about the RNC's one channel-ness? Maybe I just don't get the reason for more than 1 channel on a compressor.

DBX 160(x, xt, a) All essentially the same model, although the x only has TRS connectors. One channel boxes, but useful. Best of the lower priced DBX boxes. Great on drums, good on other things. I'd use the RNC for vocals though.

Aphex Compellor Very transparent. Two channels.

Symetrix 501. I use mine pretty much only on bass. Good, but not great on other things.

or, moving up a step

Peavey VC/L-2. Two channel optical tube comp. Kind of a budget LA2A. Matching unit to the VMP-2 preamp.

Drawmer 1968. Two channels. Very nice and useful comp. Great on 2 buss. IMHO a relative bargain for what you get.

Massive Master said:
(1) You already have two of the best possible compressors in the "budget-friendly" arena.

(2) I wouldn't record through a compressor anyway (99% of the time). Is there a particular reason you want to record through a compressor?

Massive,
It is only when I am tracking full bands and cant watch all the levels. I usually put comps on certain channels (Bass / Drums / Screaming) and use them for gently limiting only. I guess the only place i am deficient is when I get some of the acoustic oriented Folk / Celtic bands in you might have several hand percussion, flute / whistles /guitars / fiddles etc and they play VERY wide dynamics during the songs. I need transparent.
On the other hand, I have never been wonderfully thrilled with the JoeMeek MQ3 for MY bass guitar, so that is the reason for considering the 501.

Perhaps for the Bass I should look into a Bass preamp modeler anyway.....

Thanks for you guys input.

strungout said:
Question: What are the Con's about the RNC's one channel-ness? Maybe I just don't get the reason for more than 1 channel on a compressor.

The stereo linked channels of the RNC work fine for a stero source like overheads or a stereo miced guitar, but if you want to patch 2 different instruments through the same unit the channels cant act independantly from each other. If one channel compresses, it forces the second channel to compress even if you dont want it too.

pohaku said:
DBX 160(x, xt, a) All essentially the same model, although the x only has TRS connectors. One channel boxes, but useful. Best of the lower priced DBX boxes. Great on drums, good on other things. I'd use the RNC for vocals though.

Aphex Compellor Very transparent. Two channels.

Symetrix 501. I use mine pretty much only on bass. Good, but not great on other things.

or, moving up a step

Peavey VC/L-2. Two channel optical tube comp. Kind of a budget LA2A. Matching unit to the VMP-2 preamp.

Drawmer 1968. Two channels. Very nice and useful comp. Great on 2 buss. IMHO a relative bargain for what you get.

You give the same suggestions as a close friend of mine!
I think I will look into the compellor and the Drawmer. I know it is a little out of my price range at the moment, but still do able.

I may just look into a side by side rack of 2 more RNCs or another VLA....
I do like them a lot! I guess stick with a good thing?

Have you looked into the Alesis 3630. Many people overlook it just because it\'s so cheap but it even includes two very nice gates. It sounds every bit as good as an ssl bus compressor in my very experienced opinion.

tmix said:
You give the same suggestions as a close friend of mine!
I think I will look into the compellor and the Drawmer. I know it is a little out of my price range at the moment, but still do able.

I may just look into a side by side rack of 2 more RNCs or another VLA....
I do like them a lot! I guess stick with a good thing?

The Compellor is not a typical compressor, it's more of an invisible leveler. The Aphex Expressor is a very good compressor, and they can be had quite cheaply on eBay these days. For what you are talking about, I'd go with the Expressor first.

Obviously, the Drawmer 1968 and the Peavey are well above your price target of $100 per channel. Once you get into the price range of the 1968 you should also be looking at the Neve Portico 5043 as well.

As far as another side rack of more of what you've got, you might want to consider going with something different. I find that compression is one of those things where it is nice to have some variety. So if you are thinking of going with another couple RNC's, you might want consider a couple RNLA's instead.

For the same reason, a couple DBX 160 X or XT's would be a good buy in my opinion.

Sonic,
Thanks man!
I think that is why I asked the question.
Although I love what I have, I thought a little variety could lead me into new territory. I just did not want to vary into a one trick pony compressor just yet, Eventually I might for Bass Guitar or 2 bus.

I am actually considering mixing some out of the box, and for that reason alone I would need more comps (I think).

I wonder sonically how the DBXs compare to the RNCs?

I never was familiar enough with the Aphex models to remember the differences. I may still look into the expressor and the compellor as well.

tmix said:
Massive,
It is only when I am tracking full bands and cant watch all the levels. I usually put comps on certain channels (Bass / Drums / Screaming) and use them for gently limiting only. I guess the only place i am deficient is when I get some of the acoustic oriented Folk / Celtic bands in you might have several hand percussion, flute / whistles /guitars / fiddles etc and they play VERY wide dynamics during the songs.
It's interesting your take on that as a solution. I'd consider choosing, setting and monitoring many channels of compression (the appropreiate compression for every track being the bugger here :) ) way more difficult than keeping a bunch of levels in line.
Does this add a ton of trial/setup time to the flow of the session?
On the othere hand, maybe it makes up for it at the mix end.

jamacian said:
Have you looked into the Alesis 3630. Many people overlook it just because it\'s so cheap but it even includes two very nice gates. It sounds every bit as good as an ssl bus compressor in my very experienced opinion.
I actually have a 3630 - And a SSL 4000 E/G clone.

If you have a 3630 that sounds "every bit as good" as a SSL buss compressor, your SSL buss compressor is broken.

ANTI-BASHING DISCLAIMER: The 3630 is great for a $79 compressor. But it's still a $79 compressor. I have mine in between the television and the integrated amp on my home stereo system. Although it can "do the job" to some extent, It's not what I'd consider a "really nice sounding" compressor.

i've seen a couple of people selling used 3630's with either the group diy mod or the bla mod for about $100-150. those might be alternatives as well.

mixsit said:
I'd consider choosing, setting and monitoring many channels of compression (the appropreiate compression for every track being the bugger here :) ) way more difficult than keeping a bunch of levels in line.
Does this add a ton of trial/setup time to the flow of the session?

No not at all! I wont use a compressor on every channel. Just those folks I know to be highly dynamic.
I actually get a basic level on the pre without the compressor, setting it to where it should peak at least 4 to 6 dbs under O db, then have them give it one more go to where the comp will only take a 1 to 2 db reduction on the loudest hits ( mild ratios of 2.5 to 3 to 1) and then let the sessions begin. It is really just a safety net. I dont want it working hard unless I need it at mixdown. I think that is why I favor the transparent non colored type of compressor. I dont want to hear it except in rare instances.

Maybe I should rethink it but using the comps have saved many a performance, whereas I have only had them trash one take before by sucking the life out of it.

is it stand-up day here?

anyways...i would look hard at the dbx stuff, considering what you already have...you probably won't find something much better w/o dropping a lot of $$

jamacian said:
Have you looked into the Alesis 3630. Many people overlook it just because it's so cheap but it even includes two very nice gates. It sounds every bit as good as an ssl bus compressor in my very experienced opinion.

I had a VW bus back in the 70's that was every bit as good as my Silverado..... Get a DBX 160A and thank me later

The dbx 1066 is a very aggressive sounding compressor. Used, it is in the $100 per channel range. Good stuff.

Big Kenny said:
I had a VW bus back in the 70's that was every bit as good as my Silverado..... Get a DBX 160A and thank me later
I still have a VW bus and I pass Silverados all the time. I also have an Audix that sounds just like a Newmann. People who spend lots of money on stuff are dumb.

Back