I need an Upgrade... Mixer VS Firestudio

Farno

I wish I never got the firebox and just got the firestudio in the first place I never thought I'd have more than 4 inputs going in but I'm sick of changing out the cables.

Here's the dilemma:

I have the presonus firebox. It has 2 mic inputs, I've got 3 mic lines (and more to come) so I am obviously already exceeding the amount of inputs the firebox has. The firestudio has like 16 inputs.

The other solution to my lack of inputs are mixers. I have not really entered the world of mixers so honestly I know nothing about them and still I'm not sure if they are the right device for my situation.

I like the idea of the firestudio... I'd probably sell my firebox (or daisy chain it). Also, would latency decrease with a firestudio? I sometimes have problems with my firebox (but that's usually after 8 channels of intense VST's which I plan to no longer use).

So I guess I'd like some feedback on what to do. Thanks!

You don't necessarily need a mixer in your line up, I have one but I don't have to except for the fact that the preamps are really nice in my PM1800 mixer and that I can EQ the signal prior to going into the DAW - just old school up bringing.

Most don't use mixers for home studios. A lot of the old school guys who grew up in the analog world use them. But those of us who have only known digital don't always feel the need to use a mixer. So if it were me I'd go with the firestudio. I use the focusrite saffire pro 40 and have 8 inputs and it is great. So a comparable firestudio should be fine.

I have a Mackie SR24-4 VLZ PRO in the studio that I'm looking to replace with possibly an Allen & Heath type board. I use the mackie on the road for live stuff.

Most don't use mixers for home studios. A lot of the old school guys who grew up in the analog world use them. But those of us who have only known digital don't always feel the need to use a mixer. So if it were me I'd go with the firestudio. I use the focusrite saffire pro 40 and have 8 inputs and it is great. So a comparable firestudio should be fine.

I would have to agree with this chap in a way. i have a focustire saffire pro 40 which is AMAZING for the price and it comes with a nice mixer program for its internal routing. but thats not just 8 input. it has 8 ins on it, but it allows for adat expansion, so it can be 16 i/o so if you wanted to further increase your in/out capacity in future! so i got an focusrite octopre on adat giving 16 i/o.

on the flip side, mixers can really add something. i suppose it depends on the application. i have a studiomaster 16-4-2 which i sum/eq/mix on combined with my daw plugins. but if you were looking to record direct through the mixer like several mics or whatever then mix down to 2 at the recording stage, your going to sacrifice a lot of posibilities. you said you're not so sure about mixers, so stick with computer, but if you ever get chance to play with a mixer and understand it, you might never go back! i know i wont go back to just mixing in the box. anyway, maybe ive gone a bit off topic here.

Focusrite saffire pro40 would be a solid choice!

Ok... I was just looking, and saw the apogee duet. From what I read, it is amazing. Of course this is not gonna help me much since it doesn't have nearly the same amount of inputs like the firestudio and that saffire pro 40. But I guess the sound quality isn't even comparable to those two. I suppose I could get a mixer and run into the apogee duet and have my inputs, and good sound quality. I don't know much about the apogee duet (and compatibility with cubase), maybe someone should talk me out (or into) it. I thought I had it down to the firestudio or a mixer, now I have have broadened the horizons and can't make a decision!!

You do know that the Duet is apple only??... and I don't think two channels of conversion are your best option now... or an an analog mixer. The mixer is going to severely limit you as a stand alone (without another multi-channel interface). Everything you record will have to be mixed to two tracks... so buy a decent eight channel interface, preferably with ADAT expansion capabilities, then if you want to try analog later you an take direct outs off the desk on each channel, and mix in the box.

Wow haha, I never even bothered to check! I've been looking around and have been looking at the best interfaces. I've got it down to about this:

Firestudio
Saffire Pro 40
Audiofire 12
MOTU (8pre, 828MK3 or 896MK3)
Tascam FW1082

So, what should I pick! I know it's about preference but from what I've read, they really are all the same and it just depends on the features you want. I'm probably leaning away from the firestudio and more towards the saffire. I heard the MOTU preamps are quiet and the audiofire 12 is a good unit (but I just looked at the specs, no XLR in's and no physical knobs to adjust volume!!!!).

So I guess it's down to the saffire... anything I should know about it before I pull the trigger?

Ok... how about this from left field?

You pick up a used MOTU 2404 mark II for a couple hundred, then put the additional money into a into one standalone preamp (in the $500 - $600 range).. now you've got three preamps and an interface that will handle any audio format, 24 channels at a time... and then add additional preamps as you savings, needs, and wants, require.

I love my 2408... all the interface I'll ever need, converting between digital formats, to mix and match with the pres of my choice

Saffire pro 40 has 8 nice preamps. I have used it for a few months and would recommend it to anyone. I think it is great for most studios and expandable. Somehjng you won't grow out of.

I can't speak to the others but I'd bet they are pretty similar. A good time to be making music at home!

I use a Presonus Digimax FS linked to a Firestudio for live on location recording. I also have an ART Digital MPA giving me two more inputs. So, for location work I have a total of 18 inputs. If I need more I have a second Firestudio that can be linked in, giving me a total of 26 inputs. So far I have been mostly pleased with the Presonus product. I picked most of it up used from various places. The Digimax does have one bad preamp, but, so far I haven't run into a situation where I needed them all. A couple of times I have actually used my rig for doing both recording and front of house mixing and it worked quite well. Front of house mixing with no mixing console can be a bit confusiong until you get used to it, but once you do it's rather simple and you have the added advantage of being able to record everything. Some samples of work from this "stuff" and pix can be found in my sig.

saffire pro 40 is the bomb. the routing options are 'unparrallelled' according to the description of it. and i would have to agree. its a fantastic device, at a great price too

haha ok. you can route whatever you want inside the unit, and also it has a mixing program that allows you to create up to 16 individual mono/ 8 stereo headphone mixes, or whatever you want. its really good! never had a problem with it.

I love my saffire pro 40, but hate MixControl for routing. I do it all in Reaper and it's easier and more intuitive. To route something through one of the outputs (for using rack gear), you have to go into mix control and turn on the outputs you want to use. It's annoying. And you can save routing options/driver latency etc, but each time you start up it goes back to default and the saved preferences have to be loaded. But, the interface is great so don't let this pet peeve dissuade you.

Back