I need Advice

Soundscaper

I am 22 and My friend is 19. We have just posted a Web site of our studio. Would everyone please take a look at it and give us your input? Also while you are on the site please take a list to the MP3 Sample "One of These Day's" and tell us what you think.

Thanks in Advance

www.mindspring.com/~martyv

my input: (you asked)

it's bad enough people extend their religion to your door step etc...

Do you have to put a "jesus can save you" on a web page for a recording studio?

If I was muslim does that mean you wouldn't record me? (ok now I'm off on a tangent so I'll stop)

anyway, thats my opinion....

Ugh! Sappy Religious music. Christian music can be pretty cool, but that was "700 club"material. The drums really dragged, too.

Exec, I also agree that kind of preaching doesn't belong on a recording studio website.

Bushice

Hmm... there could be a market for it. I would definately remove the "how to become a christian"-page, here's my motivation:
You have a recording studio specialized in gospel, church and religious music. I assume that most people visiting your studio and website are already christians, so there's no need telling them how to become one.

Also you have to profile your studio more, if you really want to go for the gospel, church and religious music-market, scream it out! Let there be no doubt when people visit your website you're not an ordinary recording studio, but one that's specialized in recording organs, choirs, etc! For the rest of it, it looks OK. Oh, one more thing: don't call yourself president and vice president when you're the only two working there. It looks crappy.

Are you guys really planning on making a living out of this? That's hard... nice gear you got though!
Dirk Demon

PS Didn't check the song, my soundcard cracked a few days ago...

Soundscaper,

I hope you are not disheartened by some negative feedbacks here, but hey, that's what making a stand for Jesus is all about, facing prosecutions... :)

cool stuff you got there... how did you guys have a studio at such a young age?? I myself is setting up a homestudio to produce some church projects as well....

BTW, mind sharing ur equipment list?

heard your song as well... well produced.... sounds a little too clean for me.... I would bring the backings vocal a little lower as well.... but then again, I am listening with cans in my office... might not be accurate....

keep it up!
God Bless!!

Crucify him!

IMHO, a studio should stand on its own merits, and not have to rely on any gimmicks to book time. You are in business, after all..its not some religious charity.

As it is, you'd have to pay me the $25/hour to go into such a place.

hey, I have lots respect for you guys, who start your dream/job at a relative young age. I am 22 myself, too, but I am still searching thru webpages trying to learn recording stuff...
I am not a religious person, but having a religion sign at your door can difinitely limit your customers...

Once again thanks for the advice. We already do the recording studios as a living we have recorded about 30 people.

Keep the advice coming!

Layout is very good. I would like to see some equpment lists, and maybe some more pics of equipment. Dolemite was half right. You are in business, but it's your perrogative who you market to. If you want to run a faith-based recording studio, I think it's a good gig as well as a powerful ministry. Obviously craft is important, and given the choice I would gravitate towards the best engineer and studio, but I would prefer to deal with Christians in a working environment. I am sure you understand that your client-base is smaller, but for $25 an hr, you are gonna get all sorts of people who need to hear the word.

Pete

Leeking said:
Soundscaper,

I hope you are not disheartened by some negative feedbacks here, but hey, that's what making a stand for Jesus is all about, facing prosecutions... :)

......................I'm just going to keep my mouth shut.

looks like a nice studio and a start of a nice website...
as far as including "Christian propaganda" on your site ... make your website whatever you want it to be! Anyone who would choose not to record at your place just because you have a crucifix on the wall has no business sense at all. That's just dumb.
Now, if you choose to preach to all your clients while they're paying you to record them ... that's a different story. But, I doubt you would have made it this far so fast if that was your approach.

Website ideas:
"About our Recording Studio"
Add some more background of your experience (hint: list the 30 bands you've recorded complete with links, if possible). Under "32 Track Digital Recording", "State of Art Computer Mastering" and "State of Art Keyboard Recording" explain the hardware/software you're using. Explaining why it's state of the art in a way a layman can understand. That will further reinforce those statements. You ask me to take a leap of faith by only including screen shots of your apps.

"Studio Pictures"
Only one pic? Well, it looks nice anyway. If it were me, I wouldn't have the html available until all the pics are done. Your studio looks really nice ... a major selling point is pictures ... get them taken and posted pronto!
Add a full equipment list to this page, too.

"Studio Rates"
Only thing is I think $10/CDR is too much. Is that for the master or the dups? I think you should throw in the first master and then charge like $4-5 for additional copies. Depends on your situation, I suppose.
Oh, make the "Contact Us" at the bottom a emailto: hyperlink.

"Music Production"
Some good info. I'd make it a bullet-point list, if you can. Your clients want to know what to expect when they record there in the easiest way possible. Should this page also include the Audio Production stuff ... or just music composition? I see it as a "what to expect" page ... there's a lot of studio websites that have done this well ... do a search. As it sits now, I think it's hard to read. Also, in paragraph form, it reads as less than professional.

"MRV Publishing"
This is where you want your mp3 demos. Also, do you only publish your own works for people, or will you publish their songs as well. Seems like you want them only to record your music. Explaining what your publishing "division" (rethink that word, sounds like you're trying to be something you're not) actually does (CD production, sheet music, etc.) would help clarify it.

"The Studio Staff"
Agreed ... lose the "Vice President" and "President" titles. Unless you have a bigger staff, it means nothing and again ... makes it look like your trying to be something you're not.

"MP3 Audio Samples"
I'm at work so I couldn't listen to your mp3 sample. :(
You need to include more ... either that or change the link to "MP3 Audio Sample". ;)

"MRV Music Ministry"
I'm not sure what this page's purpose is. Is this a regular gig for you guys? The link doesn't really make that clear ... and there's little content on the page. Add more stuff to it, change the link name and it will make more sense.

"How to Become a Christian"
Like I said ... send whatever message you want. I have no opinion on your religious beliefs.

How to Contact Us"
Just fine ... I'd put your email address in text as well as the pic, though. Also, get your email on every other page if you can.

I really appreciate those suggestions. As you guys give them to us I am updating the web site. Then I will re-post it.

Please keep sending.

Thanks for all the time you spent BigKahuna on Writing those suggestions. They made a lot of sense

Do you choose to only record Christian acts? Just curious, because the"Recording the Christian Community" banner on the front page lends to that assumption. If so, great. If not, maybe you want to change that. You don't want non-Christians to not come to your studio, especially if this is a ministry.

Pete

So if (God forbid) I wanted to record non-Christian music in your studio?

Would you turn me away? That's not very Christian... ;)

Your site is a bit choppy. Scrolling was a pain. Your mp3 locked me up.

It is your site, so do whatever you want. That's what the first ammendment is all about. And I thank God for it ;).

There is some great sounding Christian music out there. Some of it is worse than Brittany. But it is a growing industry and there are bound to be many different genres within the genre.

I'm a Christian, but I can see I'm not welcome so I'll keep my mouth shut.

Once again thanks for all of the advice you have given. I have made a few new changes based on your oppinons :-) Please check them out. www.mindspring.com/~martyv

Let me take a minute to explain our views about the "Christian Only" thing. We did not intend on turning this into a religious Debate :-) We record other types of music such as Instrumental Music, Radio Jingles, Radio Programs, and music that has no foul language, sexual content and so forth. We personally belive that
we should use our talents God has given in ways that brings honor to him. We are not some group of Holy Rollers who belive we are better than everybody. I am speaking now for the two of us personally. "For God so Loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that who so every belives on him should not perish but have everlasting life" John 3:16. We do not look down on anyone. Please continue to give us your input on our web site we really appreciate it.

We have made more improvements. We also loaded up more sample MP3 about 30 to 40 Seconds each as a lower file (Most around or under 1 Meg). We also Made “One of these Days” a lower size MP3 it around 3 Megs now. Please check it out again and tell if we are getting anywhere. Also tell us what you think of the recording on the new MP3’s.

Thanks Again Everybody.

www.mindspring.com/~martyv
MRVStudios@mindspring.com

are "christian" recording facilities exempt from taxes?

If so, I'll tell my friend to tack the line "recording the christian community"on his studio website.

Back