I need advice on building my studio

circleone420

Hey whats up Everyone. Im working with a Roland VS 2480 digital recording workstation. Ive been using it for personal home recording use and now would like to build a studio to record bands. I would like to get a general idea of how I can enhance the sound and build a bigger and better studio setup off it. Even though its powered should I get good mic pres?? If so, how does it help the recording? I can record up to 16 tracks at the same time so does that mean I need a 16 channel mic pre? Im basically looking into rack units but I also know that Mic's play a big role also. The unit is great but I want to take it to the next level so that I can record bands semi-profesionaly.Doesnt matter if its expensive or not. Just as long as I get an idea of what i need to complete this setup. I would appreciate anybodys advice....thanx

Eric

Hey Eric - what do you have for mics now? The pre's on the Roland aren't so hot from my experience, but depending what yoiu're using for mic's you may want to upgrade them first....

Mics:
1 Shure SM57
2 Shure BG 4.1 (Condensor)
1 Shure Beta 58
1 Audio Technica X1 (Cardoid)

I have a few more but there not worth mentioning.

Thanx for your help!!!

Control your sound

If you are planning on recording bands the most important aspect is having good isolated rooms to work in. As your microphones/ preamps etc improve you'll notice more and more the sound your recording spaces have. Condensers are where you'll notice it most especially on drums and vocals.
Never underestimate the importance of simple things like good couches and coffee machine too... believe it or not they go a big way to presenting a pro image.
In regards to outboard gear you need to think about cost vs profit. In other words find the best you can afford, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that expensive gear gets you lots of work. Most outboard preamps are better than desk preamps unless your desk is $20,000 plus....
Alto, Behringer etc. should not be sniffed at if your starting out, they make gear aimed at you. They are good for their price and untill you can hear the difference are a good start over more expensive brands. In fact I still have early Behringer gear that I regularly use over much more expensive stuff at times.

What's your budget?
Where are you building the studio?
Who are your clients going to be?
What do you expect in terms of monthly revenue?

It's very difficult to give a quality answer to your initial questions without answers to these questions first.

G.

Back