I need a warmer sound for my keyboards!

soldierone

the future is amazing...
I record a LOT of keyboards and electronic drums and I've been throwing around the idea of adding something analog into the chain to warm up the sound before it gets to my computer. I'm not dissatisfied with my keyboard sounds, but I'd like to be able to change their character some.

I'm thinking something on par with running it through something with a tube in it. I'd like to keep it under $200 for now. Any suggestions?

Chameleon 7602 but that's over $200.
Any reason taming a bit on the top end wouldn't qualify?

I'm thinking something on par with running it through something with a tube in it.
Tubes have very (VERY) little to do with "warming up" sound 90% of the time (no matter what the marketing guys say).
I'd like to keep it under $200 for now. Any suggestions?
One thing for sure - "Cheap" and "tube" in one sentence almost always leads to "crap" in the next.

Work on your sounds, don't overdrive the input (there's a nice and rather popular way to wreck the sound) and go from there.

MM is right about that. Otherwise, the only piece I can think of that would be cheap and halfway decent would a Peavey Tube Sweetener. But you'd have to find one as they were discontinued a number of years ago. They were from the same AMR series as the VMP-2 preamp and the VC/L-2 compressor. They show up on e-bay every now and then for @$200. Fairly subtle tube enhancement -- it's not dramatic, but it is noticeable -- and nice.

If you are looking for a cheap $200 fix, I wouldn't bother.

One of the best keyboard sounds I've ever heard was when I played a house that used an ADL 300-G tube DI. It sounded really great, and I know the sounds very well, having programmed the keyboard rig myself. But the 300-G is no longe rin production and cost more than $200 anyway.

For $200 you are going most likely going to get a crap muddy tube sound from what will be extreme budget gear. Again, I wouldn't bother unless you get really lucky and score a great tube DI for cheap.

Tubes have very (VERY) little to do with "warming up" sound 90% of the time (no matter what the marketing guys say).

One thing for sure - "Cheap" and "tube" in one sentence almost always leads to "crap" in the next.

Work on your sounds, don't overdrive the input (there's a nice and rather popular way to wreck the sound) and go from there.

That's good to know.

My sounds are far from terrible as it stands right now... I'm hoping to maybe get a little bit of a different character out of them.

I had one of those presonus tube preamps and it sounded pretty good for a hundred bucks.Get two and there ya go in stereo.I use a avalon u5 now and a vintech. sterling sound studios (yep thats my plug)

$200 could get you any number of plugins that would warm your sound up w/in your computer. if you have a mac try the free/donation ware massey tapehead medium au.
other possibilities might include urs saturation, or you could get the line 6 gearbox gold package for $100 shipped, which has a di and a whole plug in suite which includes several preamp models, compressor models, guitar amp models and other effects that could warm up your signal.

i have used a tch 21 para acoustic di which makes my cheap keyboards
sound a little less awful.

I used to own a couple of those Presonus TubePRE's and I really didn't think they did anything for keyboards. The tube gain is very clean and subtle on those, I don't think they have enough color. They basically sounded solid state to me. Not a bad tube preamp for $100 though, it is possible to dial in some decent sounds. But for keyboards I don't think I'd go for that, personally.

A unit that I haven't used but does seem to get some good reviews is the Electro Harmonix 12AY7 Tube Pre. Not sure of the price, but might be worth looking into.

The real sticking point is your $200 price limit, that's quite restricting.

Have you thought about EQ? Most digital keyboard sounds are very bright and present so they sound good in the shop and that really builds up in a mix and fights for attention. For each sound you use you could figure out the brightness frequency and the presence frequency and give each of those a couple of dBs cut (or more if appropriate).

Have you thought about EQ? Most digital keyboard sounds are very bright and present so they sound good in the shop and that really builds up in a mix and fights for attention. For each sound you use you could figure out the brightness frequency and the presence frequency and give each of those a couple of dBs cut (or more if appropriate).

My thoughts exactly.....

Definitely... EQ is my best friend when it comes to keyboards. :)

i ran into this same situation about a year ago, and belive it or not i ran my e-mu rack mod into a samson c-valve ($99) it has a 12ax7 circut that doesnt really like to be pushed too hard but if you just want to add a little warmth it does the trick i also used the "vocal eq" setting on the pre because as the guys say it does run a little muddy if you just run your keys into a cheaper tube unit however the vocal eq kind of adds a breathy, light charachter which may be just the ticket. ebay it and you might pick one up for 50 or so i cant reccomend that box for vocals and things but it sure warmed up my keys and my 808

Back