I need a software synth with Star Wars appeal !!

Mountaineer

For those of us here who are old enough to remember 1978 or was it 1977 . . . whenever Star Wars came out. I remember staring at the big screen amazed at the special effects! ( bare with me I'm getting to the synth part ). Nowadays, special effects in movies just don't cut it anymore. They can't carry the movies the way they used to. It's getting that way with this audio stuff. When I first heard my MIDI synth two years ago it had a certain WOW factor . . . now it's a bow-wow.

I'm looking for a software synth that I can use with Cakewalk to get some good Hammond, Rhodes organ sounds . . . maybe a Moog synth sound. I want WOW! Is it possible. I've read about Giga sampler . . . got the LE version, but it robs Cakewalks audio and doesn't work with it. I've read about Bitheadz . . . some others. Any suggestions ?

Regards,
PAPicker

tdukex>
I've read about Reaktor . . . before. Its been out for almost two years. All the NI stuff is suppose to be good, but It won't work with CW. I really don't want to build samples, so Reaktor is a little more than I need anyway.
Thanx for the lead though.

Emeric> Yeah, I've heard samples from B-4, B-3 and Pro-52, unfortunately, the plugins are VST. Maybe a wraparound would work with it???? Maybe worth investigating. Thanks !

PAPicker

[Edited by PAPicker on 02-04-2001 at 20:09]

Stand alone wouldn't do me much good for recording unless I had 2 PC's . . . just as well by a real Hammond B-3 . . . now there's an idea! Funny thing is this weekend by brother-in-law in Florida told me he bought a Yamaha 315D advertised in the paper for $250. It looks just like the B-3s and has a bunch of sounds . . . even a Leslie rotary-out jack. Anybody know what this thing is worth? I can't find any information on it.

Gettin' back to the B4 software, I downloaded B4 and Pro-52 Demos from Native Instruments today . . . the VST plug-in versions, along with a Demo of FXpansion , a VST to DirectX adapter ( wrap around ). According to the NI documentation, people have had good luck running both with Cakewalk PA9 . . . . We'll see how my luck is . . . I haven't loaded em yet. The Demos should at least tell me if it will work without being a pain in the ass . . . I ain't holding my breath, but if it does work, and sounds as good as the Demo MP3 files, I'll buy em both. $150 for a vintage synth that sounds like the real thing is worth it and I'd like to kiss MIDI goodbye . . . except for control of course. Next . . . vintage strings ????

PAPicker

Update . . . http://cakewalk.com/press/PR-DXi.htm on the other hand, maybe I should just wait for SONAR. Looks like they have the soft synth issue covered.

[Edited by PAPicker on 02-06-2001 at 19:26]

theres the vaz modulator.its not like reaktor, but it supposedly sounds better.Also theres dynamo.Its a collection of the best synths of reaktor.Its cool.

Back