i need a real keyboard

atw23

im considering getting a professional quality keyboard. i had a cheap casio which doesent sound good enough to record with. my question is what's the difference between a synth and a keyboard, i want to have the usual violin and piano sounds as well has techno/industrial/dance type sounds, that are very high quality. i basically want something that will give me a wide range of quality sounds that i can record with. thanks.

atw23 said:
im considering getting a professional quality keyboard. i had a cheap casio which doesent sound good enough to record with. my question is what's the difference between a synth and a keyboard, i want to have the usual violin and piano sounds as well has techno/industrial/dance type sounds, that are very high quality. i basically want something that will give me a wide range of quality sounds that i can record with. thanks.

so go with a professional workstation or similar...they have all that you need!

peace

I think as you get into more expensive keyboards/synthesizers you are often getting more memory (overall) and more memory being allocated to each individual sound (a bigger sample size) which contributes to better sound (also you are paying for how much knowledge and effort the sound engineer(s) put into recording the sounds/samples), and you are often getting the ability to edit your sounds and create new sounds (instead of being confined to a set number of uneditable presets). I am not very familiar with the cutting edge new stuff but I have a Roland XP-50 workstation keyboard (which came out around 1994 and sells used on ebay for around $500) which has impressive sounds. Although I am not into techno/dance music (I use it to make pop/rock and new age) I think (and I have read comments that stated this) that it has good sounds for techno/dance music. It also has a 16-track sequencer and a disk-drive to save your sequences and sounds. I also have a Yamaha PSR-540 "home keyboard" (which came out around 1999 and sells used for around $300 on ebay). I think it sounds really nice also. The sounds on the PSR-540 cannot be edited, but I am not into that anyway. It also has a sequecer and disk-drive but overall is not as "deep" of an instrument as the XP-50. You might be happy with a keyboard that is just a step or two in price above your Casio (like a Yamaha PSR keyboard). As far as so-called "pro-level" keyboards: If you are looking to buy used there are quite a few well-spoken-of brands and models of pro-level keyboards/synthesizers from the mid-90's that you can research and look out for: Roland JV-80, Roland XP's (XP-10,50,60,80,30), Korg X3, Korg Trinity, Alesis QS6, Ensoniq TS-10, Kurzweil 2000, Kurzweil 2500, Yamaha SY-85, Yamaha W5, Yamaha W7...these where very popular when I was shopping for a good instrument. All of these came out around 1992-1995...I'm sure there have been a wave (or two) of newer models since and you can go to a site like musiciansfriend.com to see these companies latest (you might want to check out Peavy and Kawai brands also)...Hope I have been of some help and havent' gotten too far off the topic.

Atw23-

You asked what the difference was between a synth and a keyboard so I think some clarification is needed of terminology.

A synth, strictly speaking, would be a device, with or without keyboard, that creates its own sounds through a number of possible different methods. These methods can include sample playback, wavetable, additive, subtractive, FM, analog, granular and a number of others, including combinations of the above. The definition has become very blurred because sample playback (the most common method right now, probably) isn't really synthesis, per se, as the sounds already exist in memory and, most of the time, what is really happening is that those samples are being manipulated in various ways through filters, amplifiers, envelopes and effects.

A keyboard could be lots of things. Most basically, it could be anything that HAS a keyboard attached to it which could include, organs, electric pianos, acoustic pianos, synthesizers, workstations, midi controllers (which don't produce any sounds at all) and probably a few other devices I'm not thinking of.

I believe you are probably thinking of a workstation like the Motif, Triton or Fantom which are the big three from Yamaha, Korg and Roland, respectively when you ask about a "keyboard". All of these units offer a huge assortment of high quality sounds which can be modified and manipulated in a multitude of ways, they include sequencers for recording and saving your creations and are expandable. All are capable of creating a complete composition, from start to finish, hence the "workstation" nomer. They all have various models covering a variety of price points for different budgets.

Which one is best for you? That's impossible for anyone but you to determine. They are all good, capable units though.

When people talk about "synths" now, I think, most of the time, they would be referring to analog or analog modeling devices such as the offerings from Novation, Clavia, Nord and some Korg boxes like the new Legacy collection or MS2000B, etc. Of course, there are many others, I'm just mentioning a few of the more common units you are likely to see.

If you are looking for bread and butter string and piano and organ, etc. sounds, then a workstation would be the place to start. A lot depends on your budget, as it always does, so start with what you're willing to spend, consider used equipment and go out and play as many different units as you can!

Good luck. I hope this admittedly simplified explanation helps a little.

Ted

well theres not much to say, depends how much money u can spent for that.

I can recommend The GEM WK8 / Second ED - Really Nice sounds and u can edit ALL!

and the Roland VA-76 but u cant edit that much with it..

I have the Roland VA-7 atm.. had VA-5 (without variphrases..)
in the Family my grandfather the GEM WK8 .. both are good but the sounds
of the WK8 are really nice. (Music editors in some german Tv Stations use it..)

also I can reccomend you, if you've got the budget, to buy a keyboard like the motif ES or the triton Extreme and with this you will cover all the acoustic department and than add a VA board (like the PLG AN card of yamaha or the MOSS of Korg) for adding real electronic stuff.
Or maybe a separate module, like a MS2000 or similar...
IMHO the korg is more dance oriented and the Yamaha has better acoustic sounds...at the end only you can choose :)

peace

dont get a triton!try somethin new i got a triton extreme and the fantom x rack i wish i wouldve baught the fantom x board and a triton rack cuz the triton sequencer sucks and the sampler aint all that i gotta mpc so fuck roland and the tritons sampler but still

Atw23,

I have had my Motif ES7 for nearly five months, now, and have to tell you that it is one AMAZING piece of equipment. This would be the 'board that I would refer you to, but will suggest that very good advice which was given you by Ted. You see, what works so well for one - may not fit the same bill for another. Get a good handle on just what you would be able to spend on one, then go out to the music stores and spend some time playing around with those which fit your pocket & catch your fancy. I was so desireful of a workstation that I (before having the funds by which to purchase) would go out to the major music houses, here, and spend oodles of time with their keyboards. For my tastes, the selections were narrowed down to two: The Motif Classic and the Fantom S. When the financial cloud had disappeared - and I was ready to buy - I had decided on the Motif Classic. But when I went to the store, the only Motif that they had was the Motif ES7. So I bought that. Now, the Classic is one excellent 'board also, but I am SOOOOOO glad that I got the ES. This 'board has everything that I ever wanted in a workstation - AND MORE. But, as earlier stated: this works for ME .

The current workstations are ALL very capable, and will offer so much to the user. I am sure, however, that you will be extremely happy with whatever you decide upon.

I need a new keyboard

If you still have your casio (and yes,they do suck) you might want to consider simply buying a sound module and using your casio simply as a controller for it.I understand Stienberg makes some very good ones.This would be much less expensive and enable you to put your money where you want ti to go,namely,into SOUND,.Myself,I still use my trusty old Korg m-1.
Rock On !

i use a Yamaha DGX-200 (£300 when brought)
i use a midi cable connecting to my computer from the midi ports in my keyboard (Keyboard = Soundcontroller)

then on my PC i use several programs including:
FruityLoops4 Pro, Cubase 2.0, Reason 2.5 and Adobe Audition...

I would say the best option for creatin the techno/industrial sounds you want is to get yourself a copy of FL4, as it is easy to use and very user friendly.

VST's - VST's can be downloaded from the net K-v-R is one of the best sites, i can't remember the address, so look it up in google ;)
VST's can also use a lot of CPU so watch out for that...

Hope this helped...
Dean Fenton AKA Sparda

Korg Triton series. Got it, love it, don't expect to outgrow it, still thinkin' it was money well spent.

triton / kurz

I have a Triton rack, a Kurzweil 2500r and a Kurzweil k2600rs. They are VERY different beasts. If I have to choose just one, it wouldn't even be close - the k2600 wins hands down - a very different class of sounds.

Fraser

as apple is to almond, pomegranite is to

Kurzweil is like NASA - cutting edge engineering excellence, nonobsolescence

Roland and Yamaha are like General Motors

Anyways.... go try them all, especially Kurzweil, before you drop your money.

Littlejon1971 said:
I have an Ensoniq TS-10 for sale. I have a TS-12 for my studio, so I'm selling the TS-10. It comes with a heavy duty USA case. If anyone is interested, email me. Thanks!

I am interested,
how much are you asking for it and where are you situated? Cheers, :) :) John.

Littlejon1971 said:
I have an Ensoniq TS-10 for sale. I have a TS-12 for my studio, so I'm selling the TS-10. It comes with a heavy duty USA case. If anyone is interested, email me. Thanks!
Hi I have emailed you before but did not receive a reply...I am very interested, please come back and tell me your asking price. thanks, John

Back