i need a new kit

thomaswomas

i'm looking to buy a new kit and was wondering if anyone has any advice on which ones to go for.

i've got an old slingerland kit and an old premierkit, and i've made a habit of always buying and playing vintage kits in the past. but lately, i've decided that it's time i got a decent brand new kit, as i feel that it's a constant battle trying to get these old kits to sound good. they've definitely got their sound, but it's an acquired taste, and my rock style is probably not suited to them.

i've done some touring as a session drummer and was lucky enough to play quality kits during these tours, such as dw. and i've always felt that when i play these kits it makes me play better as they always sound great.

so i'm trying to get some money together by selling my vintage kits to buy a new one. i'm probably looking at the £800-£1000 mark.

what would you guys go for?

i've been looking at gretch drums. also, a friend told me of the new ddrums acoustic sets. are these any good?

any help would be most apprecieated

thanks

I own one of ddrums ash kits and I like it a lot. They always seem to sound good and look good no matter the situation. Also the hardware that come with it is not bad, it has survived over a year now so I have no complaints on the ddrum stuff.

I bought a Gretsch Catalina Birch about 6 six years ago and am happy with the purchase every time I sit down to play.

I think I paid $700 (USD) for a six piece shell pack. The stock heads were decent, but the kit sounded even better once I put some Evans EC2s on.

The included snare worked well, but once I picked up a couple of different snares to throw in the mix (DW maple, Pearl maple free floating piccolo), the kit became such a pleasure to play. DW hardware and Paiste cymbals round out the mix.

Drummers I work with are always complimenting the sound, and it looks pretty damn good too.

Best of luck!

thanks for your reply's guys.

i'm really curious about the ddrums as a friend said he may be able to get me a kit at cost price.

but apart form that i'm really interested in the gretch kits as i've noticed a few rock drummers using them lately.

i will probably go for dw hardware as they seem the best.

i've got a tama star classic snare at the moment which sounds amazing so it's more about the shells than anything.

if i had to go on experience then the dw kit always sounds the best. but then they're not cheap!

Truthfully I'd probably rather have your old Slingerlands and Premiers than any new drums out there.

Last edited:
Nowadays there are so many Brands to choose from, and so many different models. Everyone will have a different opinion. I personally love Tama and don't feel the need to get another one. The only way to get the best kit is to go and try as many major brands as you can. Take your own drumsticks, so you get the feel of what it'll be like at home. If possible, bring a cymbal or two also. You didn't mention Pearl or Yamaha, you might want to give those a try too. Apart from that, why would you want to change your Slingerland? :p

Since high school in th 70's I've played Rodgers, Stewart's, Ludwig, Tama and Pearls.

I just know some yoyo is gonna come and yank my crank for this, but I really liked the acrylic Ludwigs. I played 'em with no resonance heads for live gigs. Yeah, that 70's style "thud". :D

I've played a couple Mapex sets the last four years, and have come to really appreciate their tone, quality and pricing. I'm on a set of M-Birch now. Good stuff. :cool:

Back