I need a burly processor, any suggestions??

JonFro

Anyone have any recommendations for a computer processor?? I currently have a dual core processor with with 4 gigs ram but it cannot handle heavy mixing, my cpu gets chewed up when I start plugging in multiple effects on songs that have more than 20 tracks. I'm looking to upgrade soon and want to get something that can handle my work load, what do you think??

What is your PC/motherboard? Is it upgradeable?

I use Intel i7, but I hear i5 can handle most situations. You also need to describe how you are setup. Just recording tracks to a separate/or external drive, can free up bottlenecks as well. Is your ram upgraded to it's fullest extent? Have you setup your PC for audio performance? Are you recording audio, or tons of VSTi tracks?

Describe a bit more, what it is you have now, first. :)

As Jimmy mentions, make sure you have lots of RAM. If you don't, you will start using virtual memory which will slow things noticeably.

It may also help to disable the cpu frequency scaling.

Paul

Hey fellas, thanks for the reply, I'm lookin for a whole new set up. I just wanna make sure that I'm getting the right computer for the job, I am primarily recording audio at 24 bit at an 82,000 sample rate and am using wavs plugins. I am looking to record at a 192,000 sample rate and have no limitations. I have been mixing for many years and am just starting to run my own studio, I really need a powerhouse set up.

Jimmy I was thinking of getting the i7, it has great reviews. It's working good for you?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!!

Hey fellas, thanks for the reply, I'm lookin for a whole new set up. I just wanna make sure that I'm getting the right computer for the job, I am primarily recording audio at 24 bit at an 82,000 sample rate and am using wavs plugins. I am looking to record at a 192,000 sample rate and have no limitations. I have been mixing for many years and am just starting to run my own studio, I really need a powerhouse set up.

Jimmy I was thinking of getting the i7, it has great reviews. It's working good for you?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!!

First off, what did you read/hear, that makes you think you need to record at higher than 44.1? You are just wasting space IMO. This could start another completely redundant conversation, but in my opinion, you have no reason to use a higher sample rate, unless your ears are so fine tuned to a miniscule difference, in the clarity of a reverb. -Which, in my personal opinion, should not really be truly 'heard' in a mix anyway. You are just wasting drive space IMO.

The more I learn, the less reverb I use. This is completely genre dependent, of course.

What is the scope of your recording future? You may just have some incomplete/incorrect information, that you are starting from. Not judging, just asking. :)

Oh, and yes, the i7 is way more power than I actually need. I run quite large projects (60+tracks), with full mix amounts of effects, and still get useable latency, for recording new tracks, with a $300 interface. Less than 30% CPU usage, at low latency/buffer settings.

Processing power, correct OS optimization, and correct delegation of drive usage, will allow you to get the most out of a PC.

Hey Jimmy thanks for your reply.

I am more wanting the high sample rate just to say that I have it, I agree there is really no reason to record with a higher sample rate than 41,000, I have heard many schools of thought on the subject. I also agree with you about reverb, it all depends on what you are trying to do, I experiment in virtually every genre of music though and want no restrictions. I believe that all my setting on my current computer are fully calibrated to optimize maximum CPU usage. As for my future productions, I am soon to be running a full studio, with no limitations.

Hey Jimmy thanks for your reply.

I am more wanting the high sample rate just to say that I have it, I agree there is really no reason to record with a higher sample rate than 41,000, I have heard many schools of thought on the subject. I also agree with you about reverb, it all depends on what you are trying to do, I experiment in virtually every genre of music though and want no restrictions. I believe that all my setting on my current computer are fully calibrated to optimize maximum CPU usage. As for my future productions, I am soon to be running a full studio, with no limitations.

No limitations? Then I assume that means money as well. You should look at a commercial/custom built PC, made just for recording. You are looking at 3 to 4G's there.

The interface you use to record with, will have more to do with the sample rate. The PC don't care, it just does what the AD conversion sends it.

You can build a PC yourself, for under a grand, that will do all that you need. There is a recent thread here, based upon that budget. Well, maybe a bit more. You need to determine what 'No Limitations' means to you.

Processor speed, drive speed, drive type, number of drives, backup for the drives, amount of ram, OS capable of using ram, MOBO capable of doing what you ask, video card to handle multiple monitors, number of PCI slots for upgrade, USB ports to handle any adaptations, UPS, power supply needed to run existing/added hardware, cooling system-and how quiet it is, and of course, how cool the thing looks to your friends.

These are all things that come into play, when you have 'no limitations'. I am sure I missed another 20 options.

You need to decide what your actual goal is first. :)

Hey Jimmy, I really appreciate your advice, thank you.

By no limitations I mean a computer that can handle my mixing needs. As for money, I am looking for something in the $750- $1500 price range. I am just looking for suggestions on processors and any other ideas one might have that I may have not thought of before spending a lotta cash on a new computer. I am mixing songs with 60+ tracks as well and my computer cannot handle the work load even at 41,000 sample rate. I already have an RME Fireface 800 for my interface.

Do you know the name of the thread that you were talking about?

Back