I need a _______????

BlindCowboy

I just finished putting together a drum set from a garbage dump that a friend gave me. Fixed/replaced/fabricated the fittings, new heads, whalla. A drum set.

Go to GC and buy a standard pack of cymbals, 2 14" hats and a crash/ride. Highhat stand, and a cymbal stand for the CR.

Now, I wanted to add another cymbal. That's it. Just one more.

Obviously, there's no splash, so should I get the splash, or a china from Wuhan?

I would get a crash for the other side. Like a 16 inch something or other before I would get into fx cymbals.

And, that would demonstrate my ignorance in the drum category. I'm finishing this set so that folks that want to come over and record or jam can have a place to sit without having to bring their own kit. Nothing spectacular. (Like going over to your drummer's house and finding a Washburn to pick on. Nothing great, but servicable.)

So, being a drummer, you'd like to have Hi hats, Crash/Ride, and another Crash symbol as a basic kit?

how big/what kind is the crash/ride? Yes, another crash is necessary. I have 3 crashes, a ride, a splash, and 2 sets of hats, although I only have one set setup most of the time.

BlindCowboy said:
So, being a drummer, you'd like to have Hi hats, Crash/Ride, and another Crash symbol as a basic kit?

That would be the best. In a perfect world, that additional crash to go along with your crash/ride would be groovy, but not necessary.

I've the past I've had the uber-monster-metal wannabe Rush drumset- chimes, bell, chinas, splashes, and the kitchen sink... Then over time I've reduced it down to simple kit. It's all pretty subjective, and to your own tastes. Sometimes I feel the less tools you have, it forces you to get a little more creative.
As long as you have something to smack around, have fun with it. :cool:

Cheers

A Splash or a china are accent (or effect cymbals) which should not be considered part of a "core" cymbal set.

The core should consist of the Hi-hats, a ride and a crash. The next addition should be a different crash (perhaps a 16" if you already have an 18", or perhaps a thin crash if you have a medium, etc).

Perhaps then, a splash or china would make sense (depending on styles of music, etc. etc.)

If at all possible, bing your other cymbals (or at least the crash) with when you look for a new cymbal (to make sure the tones compliment each other.

I look at splash & china cymbals like effects pedals. First I want a good axe, then perhaps a good distortion and perhaps a good delay - after that I can look at other "less used" effects (ring modulation, etc. etc.)

generally you provide the basic kit. then you tell teh bands to bring things like pedal, cymbals and snare drum. you buy more stands. that way every drum soud you do will be diffrent. and you can get teh snare sound the bandn want thats what i'd advise. but otherwise you need hi-hats a ride and a crash. possibly 2 crashs but no-more because if teh bands want to use a splash then it'll be bacuse they have one.

so they can bring it with them! that's what i do!

Back