I must advocate the use of an iso booth.

BrentDomann

Has a Dedicated Member.
I've never been happy with my vocal recordings. They've always lacked oomph and that "in your face" quality. Well, I just moved into a new place and decided to do some vocal recording in the hall closet, which is filled with clothes and towels. The small, dead space really helped me capture better vocals. Even with tinny Chinese mics, the meat of the frequency spectrum really came through.

So, as this is a home recording forum, I encourage the use of whatever kind of ad hoc booth you can find or create. It might keep you from having to continue hunting for mics.

If an iso-booth works for you, that's fine. And there are probably others who would benefit as well.

However, I don't use one, nor have I felt the need for one. My recording space is about 6m x 7m, and the vocalist just finds a spot where they feel comfortable. When I'm doing my own vocals, I do them right at the computer, in front of which I'm sitting.

However, I do agree that if you don't have an acoustically friendly room, than you need to compensate for that by creating acosutically friendly spaces within that room.

Back