I messed up my home studio

Coozle

I'm an aspiring rapper and want to start recording songs. To facilitate things, I bought the Blue Yeti Pro despite people telling me the quality would be horrible. Well it's horrible or maybe I dont know how to use it properly.

Either way, I want to kinda start again the real way and need yall to help me out please!

I currently have:
Laptop - HP Windows 8 with the Dr Dre Beats
Headphones - Dr Dre Studio Beats
Pop Filter
Microphone - Blue Yeti (Gonna RETURN IT)

Now if my appliances are fine, what am I missing? A Mic and a Preamp? That's all? Can Yall suggest me a good pair I can find easily and that's good quality and not to expensive. My budget is basically around $500. I wanna order it them by tomorrow.

Thank you all very much!

How is this interface... and mic
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 Audio Interface

And have 2 mics in mind: Rode NT1A or Audio-Technica AT4040

If you don't need that extra functionality, you may swell save a pound or two and get the 2i2.
From what I can make out it has the same preamps and conversion.

NT1a is a respectable entry level mic. No reason you shouldn't be able to track some good vocals with it.

You might want to have a think about your environment.
Most room is the average house will suck without some kind of treatment.

Beats by Dre don't get a particularly good name, and headphones in general aren't really ideal for mixing.
Something else to think about. :)

If you don't need that extra functionality, you may swell save a pound or two and get the 2i2.
From what I can make out it has the same preamps and conversion.

NT1a is a respectable entry level mic. No reason you shouldn't be able to track some good vocals with it.

You might want to have a think about your environment.
Most room is the average house will suck without some kind of treatment.

That is why I suggested a Shure SM58 To start with. ;)

That is why I suggested a Shure SM58 To start with. ;)

Moresound's making a good point.
A mic like a 58 lets you get closer to it and keep the interface gain down.
Being closer means the sound of your room has less effect on your recordings.

I'd go down that road before looking at condensers.

Whats the difference between Dynamic and Condenser mics anyway, which is prefered for rap vocals?

And Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 Audio Interface will that have enough Phantom Power for NT1a? I can build an environment suitable for my home studio afterwards.

Whats the difference between Dynamic and Condenser mics anyway, which is prefered for rap vocals?

And Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 Audio Interface will that have enough Phantom Power for NT1a? I can build an environment suitable for my home studio afterwards.

I'd say neither is preferred because there's such a range of each available.
A 58 is perfectly capable of capturing some solid vocal performances though, in my opinion.

Any of the focusrite interfaces will have phantom power and will be able to power any typical condenser mic.

Well thanks alot to moresound and Steenamoroo for the help!

Alright that solves it. So I will get AT4040 with that focusrite interface.
I will get the environment done, shock mount and accessories.

That would complete my Home Studio right?

Another quick question what are good Speakers to connect to my Laptop for the playback of the audio.

Would something like JBL Bookshelf Speaker be good or Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker.. Cant spend to much on these

I doubt either of those will be ideal.
Ideally you want a pair of active monitors in a treated room.

Active monitors have the amplifiers built into them and would connect directly to your audio interface.

Read read read man….It's all here. :)

Back