i know nothing....about MIDI

radiorickm

ok, here it goes.
i have been a performing musician for over 20 years. in all that time, i have only seen 1 man use a midi setup for performance.
he sat on a barstool and played bass literally on a controller with his feet.

as i have gotten into the recording end of things quite heavily now, i would like more from my live performances. but because of "live" style, canned music wont work.

here is what i want:
a simple bass accompanyment (is that a word??) and some light harmony like strings or something.

with all of the intelligent equipment out there, is there something that would do this for me.

someone please point me in the right direction.

Midi

I dont know what you have currently, being you stated you've gotten into the recording side of things.

But a simple software sequencer : DP3, Cubase, Nuendo, Logic
will do, along with some synths: Roland 1080, korg etc..

recording this into the software sequencer then making a CD of it will give you what you are looking for.

MIDI -- only keeps the movement, NOT the sound itself, so if you played chord progressions, it only keeps the movement. So theoretically if you change the sound 50 times, it'll play the same movement but with different sounds until you got back the ORIGINAL sound you recorded in the first place.

MIDI -- saves you space on your computer or HD AUDIO takes up a lot of space on your computer or HD

But if you wanted to play LIVE then trigger the sound to play at a specific time, that's a whole different set-up, you'd need a foot pedal, ((you'd step on it and whatever sequencer you used would activate the SOUND or MIDI note))

This is to wide of a variety to describe, but the first set-up would be best for you. I dont frequent this site much, but if you had anymore questions mstudio1224@aol.com

o.k.

hope this helps you understand a bit

yeah the movement,

if you played a synth sound (125-FUNKY FLAVA PIANO)
in C-Minor on a keyboard

MIDI saves just that (C-MINOR), not the actual SOUND
(125-FUNKY FLAVA PIANO)

so when you want to play that sound again, you must go in your synth and bring up (125-FUNKY FLAVA PIANO) to hear it play back correctly.

If not, every sound from 1-124 will play the same C-MINOR movement but not the correct sound. But this helps if you wanted to hear how the same C-MINOR movement, chord, bass, piano riff, drums sounds with a different sound, this makes it easier to do. Instead of trying to change AUDIO

Curious choice of terms, I was just wondering why you used "movement" rather than "notes." ( Are you by chance a non-native English speaker?) You don't need to explain MIDI to me. It's the performance data from the keys you hit that is saved -- which keys, when, how long they were depressed. Most people call them "notes" or "note data" or "performance data," but I never heard it called "movement" before.

"Movement" is being used above as "the rhythmic character or quality of a musical composition" or "a distinct structural unit or division having its own key, rhythmic structure, and themes and forming part of an extended musical composition," e.g., the third movement of the symphony.

Yes, regular folk might call them "notes."

Back