I know its been debated 1,000 times but for Rap vocals Shure 57 or 58?

Herm said:
My god this thread has got to be one of the worst I have ever seen.

Sm57 sm58 for Rap vocal? give me a break does it really matter?

Rap Vocal 1 is there such a thing ? be honest now

and 2 Its Rap Does it even matter?

I cant even believe i have wasted this much time of my life for this
thread.
i would say something.. but i'ma let this one go.. i guess you don't know what the top selling genre's are these days..

Herm said:
My god this thread has got to be one of the worst I have ever seen.

Sm57 sm58 for Rap vocal? give me a break does it really matter?

Rap Vocal 1 is there such a thing ? be honest now

and 2 Its Rap Does it even matter?

I cant even believe i have wasted this much time of my life for this
thread.

1. Yes, rap vocal.
2. Yes it matters, maybe not to you, but do we fucking care what you think?

c9-2001 said:
i guess you don't know what the top selling genre's are these days..

I guess rap, as a whole, is down like 20% or so from last year in terms of sales.

And I agree with Herm, somewhat. Even if this wasn't about rap, who gives a flying fuck anyway? :D You must understand there are to be no more sm57 versus 58 threads, period. It's a universal bbs law now. :D The very concept of it just plain blows caramel-coated donkey-dick, and anyone with the slightest bit of concern for his/her dignity should refrain.

Now carry on.

just to settle it, rap sucks ass. it doesn't matter if it sells. oh, sorry, the thread was about the sm58 vs. 57 thing. :D i'll take the electro voice for $50 then.

Rap doesn't suck ass, it's a matter of opinion, and noone asked for yours.
And before you come back in here, I got some news for you, ya Justin Timberlake wannabe, you can cry me a godamn river.

shAkEz_gk said:
Rap doesn't suck ass, it's a matter of opinion, and noone asked for yours.
And before you come back in here, I got some news for you, ya Justin Timberlake wannabe, you can cry me a godamn river.

i got nothing but love for you, baby.
and when i say rap sucks ass, it's obviously my opinion, you're the only one stupid enough to not realize that. oh, but wait, you did. so you're not that stupid.

WTF?

So this is the Microphone forum right?

If you take the time to read the forum description ("Which mic should I buy, why can't I buy it at Radio Shack, and which way do I point it?")

and

If you take the time to read the title of this post

"I know its been debated 1,000 times but for Rap vocals Shure 57 or 58?"

It *should* be pretty clear to you what the thread was *supposed* to be about from the begining. Keywords to note here are "Rap", "Shure 57", "58". If you don't give a shit, then there are plenty of forums/threads that pertain to something you do give a shit about.

This is not the "what do you think about rap music" or "what is your favorite flavor of donkey dick" thread (ROTFLMAO Chessrock) <(c; Although, you might want to start one of those, since clearly there is some interest.

Quote- "I cant even believe i have wasted this much time of my life for this thread"

Herm- (if that's short for what I think it is, does that mean you've got one of each, kinda like a snail??). From your obvious ignorance, it is clear to me that you have been able to waste plenty of your life so far, and are regretful. It is never too late to try something different. Best of luck to you with all of those issues you've got...

Spread love... or something

-J

Off topic

Oh yeah, get the 58. Or as someone suggested, step up to the Beta 58, that's been a mic on my to-get list for a while.

I'd say go for the SM-58 because of the added "ball" pop-filter...

The SM-57 is a bit more fragile too, since the capsule is covered by a plastic grill holder; the SM-58 has the metal mesh "ball", which'll take more of a beating before it breaks...

yeah, i admit i was an asshole. sorry everybody. :)
i take it all back except for the ev cobalt mics suggestion. they rock for a lot less than the sm58 and 57.
i do hate rap though, but i'll keep that to myself from now on. :D

I'm a 50 year old white boy.

And I love hip-hop.

Not just because of the money it brings into my studio, but because if you ever have the opportunity to get involved with serious hip-hop artists and their productions, you'll quickly change your mind if you ever thought it involved an inferior level of creativity.

But nobody likes everything, so i guess it's cool. I try to find the artistry in every style - it's possible to be musical and creative even in a polka band. Hell, maybe even in a heavy metal band! ;)

littledog said:
I'm a 50 year old white boy.

And I love hip-hop.

Not just because of the money it brings into my studio, but because if you ever have the opportunity to get involved with serious hip-hop artists and their productions, you'll quickly change your mind if you ever thought it involved an inferior level of creativity.

But nobody likes everything, so i guess it's cool. I try to find the artistry in every style - it's possible to be musical and creative even in a polka band. Hell, maybe even in a heavy metal band! ;)

Yea, but do you use a 57 or a 58? :D :D

littledog said:
snip... if you ever have the opportunity to get involved with serious hip-hop artists and their productions, you'll quickly change your mind if you ever thought it involved an inferior level of creativity.

it's not creativity it lacks, but musicality. not that it has no musicality, it's just not enough to my taste. i like listening to great singers, so you get the idea. it's not an age issue, either, i'm 29.

a/b ed them on vox a while ago, through sony dmx pres. sm57- ok. sm -58 piece of shit, no place for any of these in any studio i'm working in. keep them for live.

Wrong stuff

Postalblue, obviously it is a matter of personal opinion, so I'm not saying that you are wrong, and I have no beef with your, or anyone elses taste or opinions (as long as they are stated as opinion). I would encourage you to check out acts like The Roots, Lauren Hill, and Blackalicious, to hear examples of instrumentals, vocals, and melodic lyracism (respectively), in a HipHop context.

I am a huge fan of real HipHop. I am also a huge detractor of all the prefab commercial bullshit that is in the mainstream today. There was a time when Rap was original, and not some regurgitated formula garbage. Yes, it has always had strong basis in sampling and spinning, but look at so much of the electronica out there, obviously there is a place for that sort of thing in music, even though it's different from live instrumental performance (and arguably a lesser skill- composing vs. performing)

"Rap is business music, HipHop is cultural music" Busta Rhymes on L.O.N.S Classic Material

Go SM58 for HipHop vocals!!!- hey should we start a poll (I think I'll do it just for Chessrock's sake, since he's still so interested in this topic)...

<9c;

i hear you, coloradojay, i definitely hate hiphop less than rap. i'm sure there are plenty of acts out there that are worth checking out. what i meant by lack of musicality is not the use of synthesizers or samplers, i think you can be very musical even using synthesizers. i like a lot of techno/dance stuff. as in any genre, there's good and bad stuff. my case is just that i don't like the kind of musicality i hear in rap and/or hip hop. of course, maybe i'm listening to the wrong stuff, as you said, but i'm not really excited to go after music in a genre i never heard anything i liked.

chessrock said:
Yea, but do you use a 57 or a 58? :D :D

Neither. Usually a LawsonL47. When that doesn't work I try a funky old 414b/ULS that has a huge bottom and almost no high end.

It's not all bad that some engineers hate HipHop. More work for me...

Back