I know i'm asking for a beating, but.....

vactastic

I have a feeling I could get lynched for this one, but I have to ask why everyone is so against C1000's. I use them, I'm not overly impressed but I feel like radio whack mic's are getting more respect than the C1000's. If there is a thread I can be directed to that would be fine. I WANT NO CONFLICT. So I'm going into Hiding now, see ya

Jason

To my ear, the C1000 sounds very harsh, with some serious high frequency peaks that cannot be eliminated with eq. They may be ok for some things, but so far, I haven't found out exactly what those things are.

The problem I find with microphones like this (and that includes the original C3000, the Rode NT1, and the Marshall MXL-2001) is that first time users of condenser mics often mistake the exagerated, peaky top end of these mics for "detail" and "clarity", since they are usually comparing them to less than stellar dynamics that they own. It is only after a period of time that they begin to hear the problems these mics have.

For small diaphragm cardioid condenser mics, I much prefer the accuracy of the Marshall MXL-603S, or the Sound Room's Oktava MC012, or the Neumann KM184. But this is just my opinion - YMMV.

I've used the c1000s as overheads and was very content with them. I think they do a pretty good job, but they were a little harsh on the cymbals. I now use the MXL 603, which has a much smoother sound, and costs much less. It isn't that the c1000s is a bad mic, but when you can get something that is noticably better for less than half the cost, why use the inferior mic?

Harvey,

I have an original C3000, so I know exactly what you're saying... and you're right. However, that "harshness" can be compensated for (not totally, but somewhat) with the proper EQ settings. There are some things that a mic like the C3000 and C1000 absolutely CANNOT be used for, like recording a high-range female voice... yechh!
Been there, done that, and oh brother.. it was uuuuugly! :eek:
But, I was in that exact mindset you described... mistaking that high top-end for clarity and detail, until I heard some REAL quality mics like the TLM103 and the U87. After that, the C3000 started to sound like fingernails scraping across a chalkboard to me.
I still find occaisonal uses for it, but my NTK and NT3 have become my main condenser mics of choice.
If I win the lottery, a U87 is at the top of my list! ;)

My latest dilemma is wondering if I should get a pair of ECM8000's or invest in a second NT3.

Any advice on that?

If you don't already have a decent pair of omni condenser mics, $60 for a pair of ECM8000's would be a good investment.

Back