I know I want a new Apple, but which one should a man trying to save some money get?!

Ma/T

Hello everyone!
Well it looks like desktop-recording days with my 400Mhz iMac DV G3 are getting more strenuous with all of the plug-ins, virtual instruments, and tracks per songs I am demanding. I want to take the leap into a new computer that will offer me the very best, but since I definitely cannot afford to buy computers frequently I want something that will take me the distance at a justifiable cost for what I will use in it.
Although the new iMacs are really cool looking, I can get the same speed computer in an eMac for less money. What is the deal with that anyway?? I don't understand the drawback with getting the same speed eMac instead of an iMac. All I can figure is you pay for the cool design. So anyway, It looks like I am going to go with the faster eMac model (the 800Mhz Power PC G4 with SuperDrive priced at $1,499.97) or one of the Dual processing G4 towers. The two towers I am considering are the cheaper two of the three. One is a Dual 867Mhz PowerPC G4 with combo drive and the other is a Dual 1Ghz PowerPC G4 with the SuperDrive. The first priced at $1,699.97 and the other at $2,499.97. That's a big difference in cash! I haven't even included the $100 monitor I would have to buy along with the tower not to mention the $250 AppleCare protection plan (though for the eMac the plan costs about $150)! Expandability is a big plus with a tower, and maybe I don't necessarily need the DVD-burning option (though that would be really neat!), but at $1500 the eMac doubles my current Mhz and with a better processor chip; but I guess I might eventually run into the same 'dead-end' problem I have today with this RAMmed-out, all-in-one unit in front of me.
Anyway, what I would really appreciate from Mac DAW users is their experienced advice with computers they have, whether they be one of the ones I mentioned or otherwise, and their power needs (both satisfied and desired).
How much power does one really need before they "bottom out" and the issue becomes transparent? I run Emagic Logic Audio Platinum with the EXS24 as the core of my work environment and I am really running low on CPU performance and speed. I would love to hear any advice on which computer I should buy. Thank you very much!

Oh yea, also I swear that I heard that Logic Audio and other DAW apps do not yet utilize the Dual processors. I know that graphic programs like Photoshop take advantage of them but I have the idea stained in my head that professional audio apps don't utilize the Duals yet, is this true or did I pick that up from an invalid source? Thanks again! Any and all feedback would be reeaally appreciated!!
Matt

Back