I just tried...

Tom Cram

I know how much you guy's love non-scientific mic evaluations, so here is another:D

I just tried the MXL 1006 and the Oktava MK-219 here at work. First impressions are;

1006; facing the capsule-very, very bright. Some, but not a lot, of proximity effect. Reminds me of the 2001 (not good). Off axis about 30 deg. and 2 1/2 inches away yields a usable but excessively sibilant vocal sound. 6 to 12 inches yields a more usable but still very bright vocal sound. I suppose if you matched it to a dark pre-amp it would be better. Cardioid pattern seems weird, sensing nulls in odd places. I think I'll pass on this mic.

MK-219; Hey, I like this. Facing the capsule-2 1/2 inches away yields a big round vocal sound. It seems a little too sensitive to plosives at this distance. Easily corrected with a decent pop filter though. Approx 25-30 deg off axis yields a nice vocal sound, rich, big, etc. I can hear the back of my throat but without any sibilance. 6-12 inches away and it still sounds really nice. I think I like this mic. I think I'll check out The Sound Room's prices on this one.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.
-Noam Chomsky-

Tom, I've talking up the 319, which is basicly 219 in a different housing for a long time. It's my favorite vocal mic (out of the mics I own, that is).

I like my 219, not as much as my C1's or 019's but for me it's the mic of choice for the bright instruments; banjo, mandolin, autoharp and dulcimer.

Tom Cram said:

MK-219; Hey, I like this. Facing the capsule-2 1/2 inches away yields a big round vocal sound. It seems a little too sensitive to plosives at this distance. Easily corrected with a decent pop filter though.

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

Tom,
From 2.5 inches I would think all mikes are pretty sensitive to plosives, aren't they?

If you like the 219 you should really try the 319!

scodu

>From 2.5 inches I would think all mikes are pretty sensitive to plosives, aren't they?<

Yes and no. There is a degree of acceptability. You want to be able to get in close for those intimate vocals, and to take advantage of proximity effect. But you don't want the plosives to become overwhelming. They are skirting the edge of acceptability with the 219.

I have tried the 319, was suprised at how good it sounded as well. The 219 is quite a bit cheaper, and has a lot of the same characteristics of the 319. This means better value to me. I like having a few cheap, but good sounding LD/MD/SD mics around that I can beat up without fear. I will use these in places I would never use my C12, for obvious reasons.

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.
-Noam Chomsky-

Back