I just scored an Audix OM5 on ebay

BJW

Snagged it for ~$75. I'm looking forward to this - I'm currently using some really low-end AT dynamic mic, which sounds like crap.

I was going to try and get a shure beta 58a, but this mic was recommended (by Hard2Hear), and the sweet deal on ebay nailed it for me. If I hate it, I'll just sell it for what I paid for it.

Anyway, I can't wait to use this at our next rehearsal.

Since this is a microphone forum, and I bought a microphone, I figured some people reading might care - or perhaps give thier experience with this mic.

By the way, the audix om5 is a microphone, and this is the microphone section of this forum. Just in case you didn't know . . .

I use that mic quite a bit. It has a really tight pattern, so stay on-axis. I like to use it on drummers and loud stages, as it rejects better than a B58, I find. Lets me get more GBF with quiet voices.

BJW said:
Since this is a microphone forum, and I bought a microphone, I figured some people reading might care - or perhaps give thier experience with this mic.

By the way, the audix om5 is a microphone, and this is the microphone section of this forum. Just in case you didn't know . . .

Just giving you shit man. Settle down, and take a deep breath. Now, there is no need to repeat twice that this is a mic forum. I'm very well aware of that. Its just if everyone that won an item on ebay got on to brag we'd have to have a section just for that. Now if you picked up a fairchild for 20 bucks well then you deserve to brag but an om5? Thats like bragging about winning an sm57 for 75 bucks...who cares? Sorry its hot, sticky and I feel like shit, so I'm taking it out on you, and you aren't the first on this forum.

So I walk in and hear this stuff and I think to myself...everybody just sit down and shut up! But then, I think well what if I just sat down and shut up. That would be easier to do wouldn't it.

BJW - congrats on the the buy...hope you think it's still a good buy in the weeks, months, years to come. Post something for us to hear why don't ya?! You know, the ebay is over-rated most of the time but once in awhile you find something where the seller is asleep at the wheel. You got a good price if the mic works. ;)

JonnyC - hats off to ya for tellin' it the way you see it. You got balls...just wonder if they're in the right place but, like you said, it's hot and sticky and the balls are probably workin' up a sweat. I hate when that happens :D

Is this the mic forum? I got side tracked I think...I need to go back to the beginning and start all over again. This is the mic forum...isn't it? :o

Peace my brutha's

jonnyc said:
Just giving you shit man. Settle down, and take a deep breath. Now, there is no need to repeat twice that this is a mic forum. I'm very well aware of that. Its just if everyone that won an item on ebay got on to brag we'd have to have a section just for that. Now if you picked up a fairchild for 20 bucks well then you deserve to brag but an om5? Thats like bragging about winning an sm57 for 75 bucks...who cares? Sorry its hot, sticky and I feel like shit, so I'm taking it out on you, and you aren't the first on this forum.

Hey man, sorry bout that. I'm usually this really laid back nice guy, but your response got me pissed for some reason :o That and I didn't mean to repeat the mic forum thing twice.

How bout this - I'll make this post a worthwhile thing for the mic forum. Here's a link to a song from my CD that I recorded in my home studio. The only mic's used were: Stereo pair of MXL 603s's (x/y config) on acoustic guitar and a studio projects C1 on vocals. All through a presonus firepod.

Brian Wahl Band - Thank You (stream)

I think they did a pretty good job for what they are.

Drums on Drums on Demand loops, elec. guitar is a PRS SE Soapbar II through a GuitarPort, bass is the DI out of a SWR combo into the firepod.

There ya go! A true member of the community! :D

hugs'-n-kisses...well...slap on the back how's that?

punkin said:
There ya go! A true member of the community! :D

hugs'-n-kisses...well...slap on the back how's that?

Thanks! I try to be a positive member of the community when I can :D

I think you'll...

really enjoy the Audix mic...I much prefer them over the Shure vocal mics - much better feedback rejection in a live setting. They record well, too. Post up some clips when you get something on tape.

Jay

vicenzajay said:
really enjoy the Audix mic...I much prefer them over the Shure vocal mics - much better feedback rejection in a live setting. They record well, too. Post up some clips when you get something on tape.

Jay

Will do - I think we're going to try and record some of our practice sessions.

I sing in a worship band in church, and I sing through a beta 58a there. I like it pretty well, but I feel a mic with a bit warmer sound would be better suited to my voice. I really like the clarity of the beta 58a, but it seems a bit "thin" sometimes.

Here's our setup (3-piece):

Vocals (me): right now I'm using some really crappy Audio-Technica mic, will use the Audix

Acoustic guitar (me): I use my acoustic/electric and go straight into the mixer

Bass: through an SWR bass combo, which we can DI out to my FirePod. Our bass player sings backup through a shure PG-58. Its a pretty crappy mic, but its background vocals, so not as important (though it would be nice to have a better quality mic).

Percussion: right now we're doing small quieter coffee-shop type gigs, so he's using a djembe/shaker/tambourine setup. I've got an sm57 at the bass of the djembe and a Studio Projects C1 up a few inches above the rim of the djembe, so it gets the shaker and tambourine as well.

We run all the mic's and my guitar into a little 12-channel behringer mixer (which sounds ok - hopefully it won't crap out on us), and that can go out to my firepod as well. We monitor through headphones - I run the heaphone out of the behri into a rolls 4-channel headphone amp. Works pretty good, actually.

For live sound, we'll run the behri into a Roland keyboard amp, and match it with the bass combo. For as cheap a PA setup as it is, it doesn't sound too bad. We don't really have much money to throw at this, and we're just getting started, so we'll make due with what we've got.

If I had a decent laptop, I'd probably ditch the behringer mixer and run everything through the firepod and mix via the computer for live stuff - someday.

Just a thought

Again, I think you'll be highly impressed with the OM-5...I love them.

For your backup singers...have you priced out OM-2's on eBay - another warm-sounding mic that is in wide use in larger churches all across the country. I was introduced to Audix vocal microphones while doing the worship service for a large conference in the Northwest. The Church used OM-2's for vocals, and I was floored with how well my group sounded as opposed to the Sennheiser mics we usually have at church.

I promptly bought 2 OM-5's and an OM-2 for the home studio.

If you're really hard up for cash - orange county speaker (www.speakerrepair.com) sells an SM-58ish microphone they've dubbed the ES-58. It's a very nice microphone with almost identical frequency response and cardiod pattern as the Shure mic. Yes, it's made in China - read the reviews here (searching will find several threads about the ES 57's and 58's) - very worth the money and solidly built.

Jay

vicenzajay said:
Again, I think you'll be highly impressed with the OM-5...I love them.

For your backup singers...have you priced out OM-2's on eBay - another warm-sounding mic that is in wide use in larger churches all across the country. I was introduced to Audix vocal microphones while doing the worship service for a large conference in the Northwest. The Church used OM-2's for vocals, and I was floored with how well my group sounded as opposed to the Sennheiser mics we usually have at church.

I promptly bought 2 OM-5's and an OM-2 for the home studio.

If you're really hard up for cash - orange county speaker (www.speakerrepair.com) sells an SM-58ish microphone they've dubbed the ES-58. It's a very nice microphone with almost identical frequency response and cardiod pattern as the Shure mic. Yes, it's made in China - read the reviews here (searching will find several threads about the ES 57's and 58's) - very worth the money and solidly built.

Jay

Thanks for the tips, Jay. The mic is supposed to be at my door tomorrow. I can't wait to demo it against the Audio-Technica I'm currently using.

By the way, I'm not sure of the AT model, but it's got "High-Energy" in some crazy eighth-grade font stamped on the side. A sure give-away that it's crap-ola. It kind of sounds like I'm singing with a cold when I sing through it.

Back