i just learned how to use my headphones

doulos24

I just found out why my headphones are worth the money I spent on them. I've been listening to a lot of mixes and going god this sucks the vocals are to sunk in the mix. everything is already overly compressed etc.

so get this I turned it down yea I know. omg the mixes have come alive! everything is soo nice and everything is balanced it's amazing. I can hear everything better clearer and I'm listening at a volume of 22 on my media player. It's cool theres like a sweet spot about 22-28 on the media player that matches the tone of my studio monitors bring it up to loud and it starts getting mid rangey and the bass goes away, but listening at lower volumes brings depth and clarity I can tear a mix apart like this wahahahaha

I wanted that boom I paid bucks but I couldn't get the boom - Tad Donnely

Last edited:
so get this I turned it down yea I know. omg the mixes have come alive!
After reading the thread title I thought you were going to say that you finally figured out that they go over your ears instead of your eyes and the back of your head :D.

Actually that "turn it down" is a good idea not just for headphones, but for nearfield monitors as well. If you mix only at higher volumes, that can cause an imbalance in the bass mix at lower volumes.

We get a LOT of threads in here wondering why their bass sounds anemic when played elsewhere than on their mixing monitors. More times than not, it's because they are mixing in a tiny, untreated room, but the more I think about it, the more I gotta wonder if they might also just be mixing at a bit too loud of a volume.

G.

yea i agree, but the deal I've found with budget headphones at lower volumes there is no low end you know? The bass just becomes a click but these actully made the low end stick out more at lower volumes and i can still hear detail like beater snap it's a beautiful thing :cool:

What kind of headphones ? Ive used many brands and to me the Sennheiser's are best. I won a set of HD600 on ebay last year and OMG, the are so comfortable and sound fantastic. They say the HD650's are a better pair. Ive been keeping watch on ebay for a set of HD650's, because if they sound better than the HD600's I have to get a pair.

Last edited:
hd 600s are the ones I'm using so you should know what im talking about. You bring the volume up and they start to wrap around you, but you lose the levels of the vocals it starts to sink in the middle of the mix when you push them. Great for listening to but not great to "monitor" on, so bringing them lower they don't wrap and you can hear every freakin detail of the mix it's pretty sweet

Back