I just killed off IE from all my machines...

skippy

Well, I used IEradicator from http://www.98lite.net/ to rip all traces of IE from my W98SE DAW, then used the fixit4.0 utilities from http://www.ontrack.com/fixit to completely clean and defrag the registry, and finally installed the Opera 6.0 browser instead (from http://www.opera.com/ ).

What a *difference*. It is pretty amazing what carving all the unnecessary fat from a machine will do for performance. The DAW runs better by a sizable fraction (50% lower CPU load on the Cubase performance meter). But, unexpectedly, browsing is _much_ faster (and more reliable) with Opera than it was with IE: this site flat screams along! I've since gone through and ripped IE out of all 3 of the Windows machines here, and replaced it with Opera. Holy _cow_, what an improvement.

If you haven't tried Opera, you seriously might want to give it a try: the non-nagware version is $39. Kudos to the Bluelife Audio Zone for the pointer to 98lite and Opera, and to John Sayers for the pointer to the fixit utilities, which are also worth their weight in gold. After trying the evaluation version of that software that John posted the link to, I bought it right away, for the princely sum of $45: good software vendors deserve our support...

Last edited:
How dare you removed IE??
Bill swared in court that it was an integral part of the system and could not be removed! ;)

Opera IS the fastest full feature browser.
Unfortunately every once in a while you run across a website with some code, that Opera can not interpret correctly.
I would also suggest that you backup your bookmarks. There is some kind of a bug in version 6.01 and under certain circumstances it would forget (delete?) all bookmarks. It happened to me twice in 6 months with no apparent reason.

Thanks for the bookmark tip. Another downside is that it doesn't cache Windows Media.

How dare you removed IE??
Bill swared in court that it was an integral part of the system and could not be removed! ;)

He also said 640k was enough for everybody. What a visionary...

Thanks for the tips, I am going to do this at my first possible convenience. WOOHOO! finally a way to be free.....of IE anyway. The GODS be praised :D

Any known issues with Win2k or XP in doing this?

I haven't investigated how to do it on W2K or XP yet- my upgrade to XP is still too new, and XP is more stable in any case. So I haven't looked around yet to see how you'd do this for those. W98lite is Windows 98-specific....

Someone has probably done this, though, and a search would probably show how. I have installed Opera on my XP machine, but Explorer is still there- primarily because all the Windows update sites flat refuse to interoperate with Opera. Maybe they'll figure that out soon. The best thing about Opera? The setting that turns off all popup windows...

It's amazing to see this thread revive 8 months later!

I need to look into Win98lite. I need to rebuild my DAW and it will probably be the ticket.

Skippy- Check your PM.

skippy said:

The best thing about Opera? The setting that turns off all popup windows...

It's amazing to see this thread revive 8 months later!

Yeah, I revived it cause Explorer was killing me.

Another cool thing are the "mouse gestures", for example right click and moving the mouse left takes you back, right click and up and down reloads the page, etc...

And that it can remember the pages you had open the last time- And that it allows you to have the browser windows as independent ones, or all inside Opera.
Plus, the Newsreader is cool.

Cheers, Andrés

This is all old news. A couple months ago this was a big topic of discussion over at Audioforums.com

Regardless of how streamlined your OS becomes with Win98Lite, the NT based OS's (2000 and XP) will still be more reliable and deliver better overall system performance.

98Lite still does not fix any of the DOS based OS's (95,98,SE and ME)biggest problem - the application memory pointer stack. 2000 and XP handle memory managment much more efficiently because they do not have the limitations associated with maintaining backwards compatability with older 16 bit apps. Each app runs in its own protected memory area and when things go sour, one misbehaving app will will not bring the entire OS down with it.

One detail everybody here seems to be forgetting is that 98's WDM driver implementation is not as complete as 2000 or XP and delivers less perfomance.

he's right... :p 98lite has been around for eons. It is a viable option for those who own 98 and can't upgrade... in fact... for a slower computer, I'd recommend it highly,.. but the NT kernel is gonna manage your computer much better than 98/ME ever could, no matter how much you "tweak" them...

You can't remove IE from 2K/XP,.. but there are tweaks for it. You can go to TweakXP and check out the tons of fixes they have there... I would also recommend going to Black Viper's site. He's got a list of service configurations you can use to totally streamline how XP runs. (you can get rid of all the "live monitoring" and all that bad junk you keep hearing aboot XP.) It basically shows you how to turn off all the aspects of XP that you don't need. I've been running a streamlined set-up for months now with zero problems.

WATYF

The practical problem with removing IE from your internet-surfing PC is that it's the only one that displays everything correctly 100% of the time. I commonly run across pages that don't display properly in "the other" browsers (Opera, Netscape, Mozilla and a couple others I can't recall right now), Mozilla is my current fave even, but I can't remember the last time I ran across a page that didn't display correctly in IE, but did in something else.......

It stands for "Dumb As Wood"... it's a derogatory term used in the recording industry for someone who asks stupid questions...

WATYF

:D

WATYF said:
It stands for "Dumb As Wood"... it's a derogatory term used in the recording industry for someone who asks stupid questions...

WATYF

:D

A dentist was gonna crown a tooth once and told me a "ballpark" figure. I asked him how much would it be if he made it out of wood like George washingtons teeth....

Back