I just got monitors, what you guys think?

sonicpaint

I just got my monitors and I'm real happy with them and thought that I'd let everyone know what they are, to get everyones bashing opinions on them....lol. The speakers that I got will surprise everyone I think.

I got a set of Polk Audio M20's. Has anyone heard of them and what does everyone think? Here is a link to the page to see the spec's on them, though not all that much. There is more documentation that came in the box but from what I heard when I listened to them, I thought I made a good buy. I'd like to know what everyone thinks, so check out the link and post your thoughts!

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/specs.php?category=4&speaker=181

Thanks,
Sonicpaint

Last edited:
I was expecting comments like that...lol

I was expecting comments like that but it would have been nice to know what you don't like about them.

sonicpaint

:D Just giving you shit. :D Never heard them, so I can't comment, but they seem to get good reviews from the users, don't they? And if they work for, allow you to hear what's going on in your mixes, and translate well to other systems . . . then who cares what other people think, anyway?

Others opinions don't matter.

Hey Chessrock, I agree that other opinions don't really matter, I just thought I'd see how other people feel about them. It's more of a curiosity of how people feel about these speakers being a "non studio" speakers in general.

I've heard these speakers and the reviews are very good not to mention they have a -3 db average from 60hz to 20khz and a reponse from 55hz to 24khz. I think that's quite flat for a speaker in this price range or for any speaker for that matter. When I listened to them they really sounded even and tight right through the spectrum. I don't think you can get a better speaker for the money, though someone might have another suggestion.

Either way I'm looking forward (good or bad) to what people think of these speakers, and who knows maybe someone will actually have a pair. :D

Thanks for your reply though chessrock I appreciate you taking the time.

Later,
sonicpaint

i've heard them in a bedroom with a pioneer amp. they sounded ok, but they aren't MONITORS. lets see how your mixes translate post something in the mp3 area later

Re: Others opinions don't matter.

sonicpaint said:
not to mention they have a -3 db average from 60hz to 20khz

If that's correct, I can already tell you they're probably better than NS-10s.

:D

It is true Chessrock.

i've heard them in a bedroom with a pioneer amp. they sounded ok, but they aren't MONITORS. lets see how your mixes translate post something in the mp3 area later

They aren't monitors? What are MONITORS in your opinion
c9-2001? I think my mixes are going to come out fine because the monitors are quite flat in frequency response and it shows when you hear them.

I'm not taking a cheap shot at you c9-2001 so don't take this question the wrong way. What are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

Those specs are true Chessrock, check out the link!

later,
sonicpaint

Monitors are anything that gives accurate sound so the Polks ought to be fine. A lot of the audiophile gear is actually much flatter and neutral than the 'pro-sound' stuff we use.
I've been thinking about getting a pair of Mirage floorstanders.....on sale at Audio Advisor for $250.

I think so too Bob.

Thanks for your post Bob. I know they'll be great, they sound so tight it's hard to believe their price. I like them a lot.

Bob I say go for it, good speakers are good speakers whether their labeled as studio speakers or not. That's what I think anyway.

Later,
sonicpaint

a new way of thought.....

buddha would be proud. now riddle me this soundman.....are you using your home theater reciver to power those them?

Re: What ever dude.

sonicpaint said:
Your comment is not worth a response.
And yet you responded. :D

The term 'monitor' doesn't mean a damned thing. It's just a name that manufacturers choose as a sales aid. The only thing that matters is how they sound in the particular room they will be used in.
There are plenty of "monitors" that are so inaccurate that they are useless and lots of high end home equipment that is more accurate than any but the most expensive monitors.

You ears should be the primary decision maker.

lol......Lt.Bob

You tell how it is Bob! I just can't be bothered to explain things to narrow minded people anymore.

Thanks for the response Lt.Bob, maybe one day people will learn to broaden their thoughts a bit instead of always going with the well know name brads that everyone buys just because they say "studio monitors".

Your right though Bob about me responding. I just wanted him to know that I saw his post and wasn't going to waste my time explaining myself to someone so narrow minded.

Later,
sonicpaint

lol......Lt.Bob

You tell how it is Bob! I just can't be bothered to explain things to narrow minded people anymore.

Thanks for the response Lt.Bob, maybe one day people will learn to broaden their thoughts a bit instead of always going with the well know name brads that everyone buys just because they say "studio monitors".

Your right though Bob about me responding. I just wanted him to know that I saw his post and wasn't going to waste my time explaining myself to someone so narrow minded.

Later,
sonicpaint

Sorry, but I had to chime in here......I think I heard someone bashing the NS-10's :mad::D

Sonic.. Use what works man....Whatever works.. Just take your time and learn how they will respond to YOUR mixes and then they will work great for you.

Polk make a nice product..... I really like that brand... There is absolutely no reason why they won't be good for doing your mixes.. Take some time over the next few months, and listen to commercial albums that you admire through them, and see how they form the sound, and then when your mixing, aim for that same sound on them..

People are always bashing my NS-10's, but they work great for me, I absolutely love them, and have no Idea what I will do when/ if they die on me..

Enjoy Dude!

Joe

Thanks for your reply dude!

Voxvendor(Joe) I know that many people bash the NS10 but (I think) it's because they've been the industry standard ,when there has been monitors that have been much flatter in frequency response.

Though this has been the case I have nothing bad to say about the NS10's, I heard your mixes and their right on the money in my opinion. If or when they die, I'm sure they'll still be around on ebay, their just going to be way over priced.

Anyone listening through any type of monitor is going to have to get used to their monitors not matter what brand they have. I know that the sound of the monitors I've bought sound great and the specifications for these monitors can speak for themselves.

I knew this was going to be a touchy subject when I posted it and to be honest that why I posted it. I'm still amazed at how many people just follow the leader instead of cutting their own path.

Thanks for your post Voxvendor(Joe)!

Later,
sonicpaint

the question wasnt narrow minded...

that was just a question on how they are powered. i've been using my computer speakers until i know what all i want to go in the way of better sounding speakers. that was a narrow minded response however

curious..

not being a phd in audio myself..barefoot may have a interesting input..

but i was always under the impression there was an intentional engineering design for "Near Field monitors/ short throw/ listener is ~3-4ft" versus "home audio speakers/ long throw/ listener is ~8ft"?

..and listening to mp3's on crappy plastic computer speakers with a 10watt card amplifier doesn't really tell the whole story IMO, on how good a mix is. ALl that does is say..it sounds good on my crappy plastic computer speakers with a 10Watt audio card.

spec skeptism..hell, Radio Shack has Nuemann specs on their $39 microphones....maybe I'm just skeptical of specs and marketing guys. fhk specs unless you know the guy that did the testing.

i agree with the post that said "what works, works"..and mentioned, just because some dip bllsht marketing group puts on a sticker "STUDIO REFERENCE MONITORS" "with a paper flyer stating... FLAT RESPONSE FROM 1hz to 70K hz doesn't mean crap.

Back