I just got a Tascam m208 for cheap!

fred s.

Found one randomly in very good condition for $85.00 at a record store in Brooklyn this afternoon.

No manual (desperately searching online). But I like the sound of this thing so far-just basic testing of pres/eq, faders with an SM58 mic.

My only other mixer is a Mackie 1642VLZ, which isn't the greatest sounding mixer, but
I've kept because I like it's routing options/low noise.

I plan on using these two mixers together for the time being. What's a good way to do this? Run the Tascam into the Mackie when I need more tracks?

Also does anyone know if there's a way output the "sub mix" (rca ins) to the mix (not just monitoring)??

Fred,

Nice Score! That's a great Price for an M-208 in good condition. I really like that mixer. I would use it as a sub with the 1642VLZ. The M-200 series are nice little mixers, but with one glaring omission… they don’t have sub ins for the 1 – 4 buss, so the only way to bring another mixer in is through the Left/Right Stereo Buss or use up two of the eight channels.

I believe the 1642VLZ has 1 –4 buss inputs that double as effect returns (Correct me if I’m wrong) so if you want to be able bring all your channels to the 4 buss outs with a 4-track or 8-track recorder it’s best to have the Mackie as the main mixer and the Tascam as the sub.

If you’re only going to use a right/Left stereo buss to connect the mixers then it doesn’t matter which is the sub. But even then, IMO it’s usually best to be able to bring a submixer in the 4-buss if you can. I broke down and added 4 sub ins to my M-208, so I could bring my M-216 in (4-sub outs to 4-sub ins). I don’t know why Tascam omitted the sub-ins. It’s really simple to do… if you don’t mind drilling holes in the chasis.

:)

Back