I hope I am not leaching here

The problem was that there was an episode of contaminated gas that was clogging jets and fuel injectors all over the area. The GS-550 is a 4 cylinder inline and it was a major pain to pull the carbs. I had pulled them once to rebuild them and it cost a bunch just to get them synced and tuned. There was no way I could scrounge up the bucks for a major cleanup, since I was going through a divorce, and paying for 2 kids. So it sat.. and sat... and sat. By now, all the gas is long gone, so everything is probably like concrete in there. You'll probably have to drop the carbs in a bucket of cleaner for several weeks.

The problem with the Wankel was two fold... first it's a "2 stroke" type engine, power generated 3 times on every rotation, but it needs oil injected into the gas to lubricate the seals. That put it on the EPA's shit list. They used a thermal reactor to clean things up. Plus, it is pretty thirsty, so that made it hard to make the fuel economy numbers that the government (and public) was demanding. I used to average about 18mpg with a 2000lb car and that was mostly highway driving. By the time they got to the RX8 with twin turbos and a 13b based engine, it was a low volume, expensive car. Boosting power causes issues because the motor doesn't heat evenly. The firing side stays hot and the intake side stays cooler. It makes for uneven expansion of the metal, which can cause problems. Mazda didn't necessarily have the allure of a Porsche or Ferrari to command the high prices needed to cover the cost. The MX-5 became the company's sport entry and the RX was dropped.

Don't worry about turning it into a "car thread". You're doing exactly what you were wanted .. not being a "leach".
It was a great engine concept but ultimately flawed as you correctly say. The 2 stroke required oil to be flowing into the engine all the time to maintain lubrication. It was too high maintenance for every day use.

It was a great engine concept but ultimately flawed as you correctly say. The 2 stroke required oil to be flowing into the engine all the time to maintain lubrication. It was too high maintenance for every day use.
That is why my mate dropped the Skyline V6 into the RX8 👍

The problem was that there was an episode of contaminated gas that was clogging jets and fuel injectors all over the area. The GS-550 is a 4 cylinder inline and it was a major pain to pull the carbs. I had pulled them once to rebuild them and it cost a bunch just to get them synced and tuned. There was no way I could scrounge up the bucks for a major cleanup, since I was going through a divorce, and paying for 2 kids. So it sat.. and sat... and sat. By now, all the gas is long gone, so everything is probably like concrete in there. You'll probably have to drop the carbs in a bucket of cleaner for several weeks.

The problem with the Wankel was two fold... first it's a "2 stroke" type engine, power generated 3 times on every rotation, but it needs oil injected into the gas to lubricate the seals. That put it on the EPA's shit list. They used a thermal reactor to clean things up. Plus, it is pretty thirsty, so that made it hard to make the fuel economy numbers that the government (and public) was demanding. I used to average about 18mpg with a 2000lb car and that was mostly highway driving. By the time they got to the RX8 with twin turbos and a 13b based engine, it was a low volume, expensive car. Boosting power causes issues because the motor doesn't heat evenly. The firing side stays hot and the intake side stays cooler. It makes for uneven expansion of the metal, which can cause problems. Mazda didn't necessarily have the allure of a Porsche or Ferrari to command the high prices needed to cover the cost. The MX-5 became the company's sport entry and the RX was dropped.

Don't worry about turning it into a "car thread". You're doing exactly what you were wanted .. not being a "leach".
It may not be as expensive as you think, i dont know about old carbs, all of my cars have been fuel injection. I think most of the expense will be removal and reinstall labour. If its a 4 pot then the twin carbs will likely sit on top so can easy be removed and replaced. Are they twin port Webber type units where they have a feed to each cylinder or SU where one carb feeds two cylinders via a single port?

It may not be as expensive as you think, i dont know about old carbs, all of my cars have been fuel injection. I think most of the expense will be removal and reinstall labour. If its a 4 pot then the twin carbs will likely sit on top so can easy be removed and replaced. Are they twin port Webber type units where they have a feed to each cylinder or SU where one carb feeds two cylinders via a single port?
Sorry I will shut up, hope you get it sorted. All I will say its a rare and desirable car mate 👍

Well if you can all go way OT on cars then I feel enabled to do the same regarding "opinions".

Yes, in theory people ARE entitled to theirs but on a forum such as this we surely have a duty to 'truth'?
There are two parts to my argument,..
1) Safety: People should not post things about modifying or otherwise tampering with equipment that could cause an electric shock or be a fire hazard.
2) Economic: Suggestions about certain 'legacy' gear being necessary to achieving a great sound can lead some people to spend their hard earned unwisely. For example, there is no doubt that a 15ips Studer tape machine in top working order can give excellent audio results. We have all the old recordings to testify to that fact but, to suggest any old tape deck will be useful is just plain wrong. Then, excellent though it was in its day said Studer was still far behind in technical performance compared to a mid priced digital audio interface for noise, distortion and most other parameters. It would have had an upper frequency limit beyond* a 48kHz sampling (30kHz+?) but then few if any microphones and fewer speakers got beyond 20kHz and still don't.

So, please don't pass off personal opinion and preference as FACT. You might prefer analogue sound to digital but in truth, most of the time what you hear WAS digital at some point anyway!

*But only at about -10dB below 0VU and -20dB for slower speeds.

Dave.

Sorry I will shut up, hope you get it sorted. All I will say its a rare and desirable car mate 👍
It's not a car, 4 inline carbs, 4 cylinder, classic late 70s-early 80s Japanese design. Dual OHC, disc brakes. It's not a cruiser, but was an excellent commuter bike that was smooth enough to do a 100 mile trip without buzzing you to death. It was way before the days of the boy racer, sport faring bikes you see today.

suzukigs550-1980-2.jpg

You do that methanol eats all your rubber pipes??
Yes, but this is called Hypertherm. It is a methanol based windshield washer fluid.

Its blue washer fluid. You can use tap water too.

An inert material to inject that effectively raises the octane of the grade of fuel. The car burns a hybrid mixture, allowing a more aggressive tune with more advanced timing maps.

Well if you can all go way OT on cars then I feel enabled to do the same regarding "opinions".

Yes, in theory people ARE entitled to theirs but on a forum such as this we surely have a duty to 'truth'?
There are two parts to my argument,..
1) Safety: People should not post things about modifying or otherwise tampering with equipment that could cause an electric shock or be a fire hazard.
2) Economic: Suggestions about certain 'legacy' gear being necessary to achieving a great sound can lead some people to spend their hard earned unwisely. For example, there is no doubt that a 15ips Studer tape machine in top working order can give excellent audio results. We have all the old recordings to testify to that fact but, to suggest any old tape deck will be useful is just plain wrong. Then, excellent though it was in its day said Studer was still far behind in technical performance compared to a mid priced digital audio interface for noise, distortion and most other parameters. It would have had an upper frequency limit beyond* a 48kHz sampling (30kHz+?) but then few if any microphones and fewer speakers got beyond 20kHz and still don't.

So, please don't pass off personal opinion and preference as FACT. You might prefer analogue sound to digital but in truth, most of the time what you hear WAS digital at some point anyway!

*But only at about -10dB below 0VU and -20dB for slower speeds.

Dave.
Dave, I honestly have never tried to pass off opinion as fact. I am sorry that you are upset by my post and quite frankly I find your reply both rather aggressive and a bit upsetting if I am honest.
If you are suggesting that I am leading people to buy gear that they should not then you compliment me thanks. Why on earth would anyone here listen to what I have to say or my opinion. I think you are overating my influence, but thanks anyway 👍

Yes, but this is called Hypertherm. It is a methanol based windshield washer fluid.

An inert material to inject that effectively raises the octane of the grade of fuel. The car burns a hybrid mixture, allowing a more aggressive tune with more advanced timing maps.
Sorry Lazer I was being ironic, no offence.
Yes adding Methanol to petrol will increase the RON but it opens a whole can of worms regarding maintenance and upgrades of components and wear on the rubber hoses etc. I use Shell V Power 99 RON with the Jag and intend to keep it stock. The XKR was never intended or meant to be a sports car, it is a GT front engine auto box with no LSD, standard open diff. Now I would like to get a series 2 mid lump MR2 DOHC 16V, the Japanese cars are perfect to mod 😉👍

What RON are you getting from that mixture? 102? Interesting stuff 😉👍

What RON are you getting from that mixture? 102? Interesting stuff 😉👍
It doesnt do the same thing. Only under certain conditions. ..possibly, under wide open / boost, performs like 114. There are load conditions where the behavior is different. It helps you tune, providing detonation resistance. Timing advance is adding power, giving the fuel time to burn. Its not a boost retard that works against power production.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 235301.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-17 235205.jpg

Back