I have to vent: You think drummers can be difficult? Try actors!

PTravel

Senior Senior Member
[rant]
Okay, so this isn't about recording equipment, but recording performers.

My writing partner and I are writing a musical. We've been recording as we go, just to make a demo for us. However, it's getting harder as we have to do all the parts: "Here comes a crowd, performed by Paul and Lee." So . . . we asked three of our close actor friends if they'd record some tracks for us. All three said they'd be happy to do it. Last month, I printed out the script and vocal scores -- real nice, double-sided, bound, with each of their parts highlighted -- and sent it to them, along with a CD of the show, and custom rehearsal CDs with three tracks for each song, 1 with just the music, 1 with me and Lee doing all the vocal parts, and 1 with me and Lee doing all the parts except the one our actor friends would do. I told them we'd record tomorrow, which gave them a month. They all said they'd be ready. I bought extra cables, a headphone amplifier and a conductor's stand. All three are professional actors (Lee and I used to be as well). What could go wrong?

Actor 1: Lee spoke with him on Wednesday to confirm. This is how the call went:

A1: What is we're doing on Saturday again?
Lee: We're recording the show.
A1: What show? I thought we were just all getting together.
Lee: Didn't Paul send you the material?
A1: Oh, that's right, he did! I forgot. Hey, that was nice work! So we're recording? I haven't looked at it yet. I guess I should look at it.

Actor 2: Sends me an email on Wednesday:

"Looking forward to Saturday. You know I can't sing, right?"

Actress 3 (who has sung professionally in musicals): Exchanges voice mail with me and Lee today (Friday):

I just listened to the CD. It's great! I'm worried that you'll be disappointed with me. This is a lot of material. It's hard. I don't know if I can do it. I've done musicals before, but the musical director was always very patient with me. Promise you'll be patient with me? I have trouble matching pitch. By the way, I booked a job for Saturday night and have to leave by 3:30. Is that okay?

These people are all professional working actors. Now I remember why I got out of the business. What was I thinking?
[/rant]

Seems then a combo of having not really taking it seriously or committed to it, and (or) were two at least being asked to sing but that's not what they really do?

I seem to have similar experiences with my musical, both with actors and musicians performing it. The shit isn't that hard. I had a bassist who was interested in recording on it, he could read music, had good gear, was gung ho about it. Sent him the first song. "Oh no, I can't do tempo changes at all, and key changes are impossible." Like....what? Also I have a pianist (still on board) who's been playing 15 years, classically trained, jazz trained, so I assumed it would be uber easy for her. I at least play piano, and even though I've lost quite a bit of skill since I quit lessons when I was 12, I played stuff that was harder back then, and I know what's playable. But for some reason, what you said about actress 3 "This is a lot of material. It's hard. I don't know if I can do it. I've done musicals before, but the musical director was always very patient with me" seemed to apply a lot here. Also when I attempted an aborted stage production, a lot of the actors I got were very talented singers but they said that phrase to me almost verbatim. What the hell?

EDIT: To be fair, not every actor can sing. I mean, if they do musical theatre, that's one thing, or if they're Hugh Jackman. But most don't. #2 seems like someone who wants to legitimately help out a friend but maybe are a little outside their league, #1 and #3 just annoy me as much as they did you.

One of the reasons I decided to have a go at playing drums in a band was that I was sick of playing with a drummer who doesn't ever practice and can't play to a click.

Of course then there is the flake singer and overly busy guitar player so it didn't work out anyway...

Anyhow, my point is people that don't practice make me scratch my head. Did you expect to just be brilliant on the spot? Has that plan ever worked in the past for you or are you just an idiot?

Back