i have some questions

UNIQNESS

1. i recorded something from my turntable and i want to chop off very end where it made a static sound. however, cubase will only let me chop off each measure. how do i chop off the tiny part of the recorded track?

2. when i record through the microphone, do i record as a mono track so i can record both L and R with one XLR cable?

3. i rewired with reason and found out that i need redrum in reason to stop playing in this one part. however, reason will not delete the part where i want redrum to stop playing.. how do i do this? (i can delete parts in other tracks without any problem.)

4. when i finish songs and export as an mp3 file, the volume tends to be a lot lower than normal mp3 songs i have. how do i raise the volume so the volume would be about as same as my other mp3's?

5. can you master with cubase SX3? if not, what mastering software do you recommend for music created by cubase SX3?

thanks in advance!

[edit] found the answer for #4 here: http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=181257

Last edited:
UNIQNESS said:
1. i recorded something from my turntable and i want to chop off very end where it made a static sound. however, cubase will only let me chop off each measure. how do i chop off the tiny part of the recorded track?

2. when i record through the microphone, do i record as a mono track so i can record both L and R with one XLR cable?

3. i rewired with reason and found out that i need redrum in reason to stop playing in this one part. however, reason will not delete the part where i want redrum to stop playing.. i can delete parts in other tracks without any problem.

thanks in advance!
1. you need to turn off "snap to" which is the icon that looks like ">l<"

2. No, you need to select a Mono track in cubase, which will play back equally on both the left and right

3. I have no idea

#3- You shouldn't have a problem deleting it. Perhaps you can try opening Reason on its own and delete it. Just a thought.

#4- Good man using the search function.

#5- Many folk here swear by Cubases all-in-one glamour, and do their projects from scratch-to-master-to-CD right in Cubase. So i guess the answer would be yes. But I, like most others here (I believe), prefer to use a seperate package for mastering/audio editing. I personally like Wavelab for my mastering duties. There are also packages like Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge and Magix's Samplitude (More $$$ for this one). When it comes time to burn the CD, Sonic Foundry's CD Architect, really is the cream of the crop on PC, thus making the Sound Forge package more attractive (Unfortunately Sonic Foundry decided to seperate the programs, when I was in the market to buy, hence I went with Wavelab, but I do believe they are included together again). You could of course go with a dedicated mastering solution such as T-Racks, which can be used stand-alone or as a plugin. There are many ways to go, it all depends on the money you're willing to spend.

I use Cubase for "mastering". Partly because I don't have a standalone wave editor, partly because I'm so used to it's workflow, I don't want to mess around with other stuff, and partly because I like to send it's output through my Kurzweil for using the KDFX compressors and EQs.

noisewreck said:
I use Cubase for "mastering". Partly because I don't have a standalone wave editor, partly because I'm so used to it's workflow, I don't want to mess around with other stuff, and partly because I like to send it's output through my Kurzweil for using the KDFX compressors and EQs.
how do you master in cubase? i mean, what do i need to do to raise the volume of music i make so they will sound as loud as commercial mp3's or CD's?

UNIQNESS said:
how do you master in cubase? i mean, what do i need to do to raise the volume of music i make so they will sound as loud as commercial mp3's or CD's?

Mastering is a complex process that requires great ears and a great listening environment/monitoring chain to determine what a mix needs. Typically, music is mastered by different people in different facilities, apart from where the music was recorded and mixed.

It is tough to get volume close to commercial cd's without serious skill and expensive equipment (at least, while still preserving the quality of the original recording). The mastering process typically involves some EQ, compression/limiting, and possibly some other tricks (stereo enhancement, reverb, etc.), depending on what might make the mix better. Download some Limiter plugins (the Kjaerhus Master Limiter is a decent freebie) and play with them. They will give you volume, but if you push them, your mixes will sound distorted and flat.

Basically, if you don't have the money for professional mastering (which would be preferred), you can do some things yourself, but the results may not be as satisfying.

Back