I Have SM57, SM58, And Older Peavey Dynamic Mics: Which Ones To Use And How??

Mike Freze

I have several mics at home and I'm not sure what the difference is between them.

One is an SM57: the standard one-directional dynamic mic good for miking amps, bass drums, snares, certain types of vocals, etc.

I also have a new SM58 which I haven't used yet. Is it basically the same as an SM57?? If not, what's the difference and what would I use it on when recording?

Finally, I have several older Peavey dynamic mics. Are they to be used like my SM57?? About the same thing??

Mike Freze

57's and 58's are the defacto industry standard for dynamic mics. You've got a couple of good ones, there (assuming they are real, not counterfeits.)

The 57 is considered an instrument mic, use for horns, sometimes for drums, and in front of guitar amps. the 58 is more a vocals mic, with it's better pop filter, inside the round head. Frequency response is very similar, and you can use either for the "wrong" application.

The Peaveys are very likely SM57/8 copies, and chances are, they are good mics, too. But, if they have non-removable cables with TS (1/4", like guitar cable) connectors, there are likely near-junk, no matter WHO'S name is on 'em. If the price is right, I don't turn my nose up at any SM-57/8 type mics, as long as they have removable cables.

You will get better sound with condensers

Not true. Condensers work better for some applications, but you can make fantastic recordings using nothing but dynamic mics.

Finally, I have several older Peavey dynamic mics. Are they to be used like my SM57?? About the same thing??

I'd say that stevieb is pretty much spot with his response. It's just hard to know for sure without having a model number or a picture of the mics you have.
The more things you record with different combinations of mics in different positions, you will have a better idea of what works for certain applications.

Back