I have several newbie (*extremely* newbie) questions

Guitar Jim

My computer is pretty underpowered for recording to say the least.... 63mb ram, 20 gig, Intel 6oomhz, cheapie internal soundcard that came with the computer. I know I can get increased ram without any problem though. I just wish to record live acoustic guitar/vocal for personal use....... nothing fancy, no overdubs, need just 2 inputs for 2 mics or mic/guitar; I've downloaded both the Audacity and Kristal audio systems. My questions ( yep, I know they are very,very beginner ones) are:
(1) If I get an external soundcard do I just plug it into the line in socket or something else?
(2) If I get an internal soundcard then whereabouts and how is it installed and do all internal soundcards fit into all computers ( desktop) ?
(3) For my limited requirements which is the best way to go..internal or external?
(4) If I use a new soundcard does it just automatically take over from the one that's already in the computer or does that one have to be removed? Or do they simply work in conjunction with each other?
(5) If a soundcard has 2 input sockets then can I get by ok without buying an external mixer ( I'm thinking of the Behringer UB802 ), because I get volume/tone/reverb and other features with both Audacity and Kristal. I have vocal/guitar preamps I can use.
(6) Can anyone recommend a really simple, cheap soundcard that would suit my simple recording needs and one where the technology has gone into just getting a really good, clean clear sound rather than one that has heaps of features that I would never use?
Thanks a lot for any help.

jim - please dont think i'm being unkind but my honest response to you would be to maybe keep that machine for home office and internet , and do like a friend of mine did. find a used 1.3ghz duron pc around the 150 bucks mark. a duron will easily do 30 tracks or more.

Your computer is very old, and I wouldn't put more money in it, but for $100 you could get an Audiophile 2496 soundcard for it, and it would still be useful if you upgrade the box.

Although your computer is old, it should handle 2 tracks with no problems. Really you should be able to handle at least 8 or more.

You might be able to do what you want with that PC. I think most soundcards are going to be internal BUT with or without a breakout box. In any case, you are better off removing the old one or disabling it if it's on the motherboard. Just about any commodity soundcard today has stereo line-in so there's your two inputs. You will need a mixer, or something with pre-amps, if the soundcard does not have pre-amps.

Not for nothin guys but I'm working on a 600mhz dell w/512 ram, 2 hd's(8gig for pgms/80 for storage). And I'm recording multi-tracks with no problem what so-ever. I think it's all in the way you maximize your settings and keep the crap out of your computer!

scarboro78 said:
Not for nothin guys but I'm working on a 600mhz dell w/512 ram, 2 hd's(8gig for pgms/80 for storage). And I'm recording multi-tracks with no problem what so-ever. I think it's all in the way you maximize your settings and keep the crap out of your computer!

I agree with this. If you have your main PC with all of your crap installed and connected to the internet, then that's going to contribute to any slowness. I have a duron 1gig with windows XP and Fruityloops and Sonar and soungforge and winamp and NOTHING ELSE. NOT connected to my network AT ALL. Sometimes it's faster than my 2.6Athlon system.

I know this isnt my post but would this make a diffrence? I have SD ram in an old computer would that made a huge diffrence being compared to DDR ram?

I have to agree about computer specs, the faster the better, but even older computers can be used to record. keep all crap of of it, just the OS and recording software. you may not get a bunch of tracks, but you can definatly learn to basics of recording! I'm still using my dual 600 to record, then send everything over to a 2.4g to mix and master.

Back